CNET Editors' review
Password Corral from Cygnus Productions is a free password-management tool that can help you remember and recover your passwords and protect them with strong encryption. You can add descriptions or comments that help you remember or organize your passwords as well as track their expiration date. You can set Password Corral to time out to the Windows system tray after a period of inactivity and prevent it from reactivating without your master password, which keeps your passwords protected even if you accidentally leave the program open. It can export and back up your password data in encrypted or unencrypted form, too.
Password Corral opened with a login box with the User Name and Password fields blank. We clicked the New User button, and a dialog opened that let us quickly enter and save both a user name and password as well as choose between Blowfish and Diamond2 encryption. After the program had created our password folder, we entered our user name and password in the entry dialog, clicked Logon, and received the Password Corral interface, a fairly typical affair with a left-hand tree view displaying the newly created My Passwords folder and customizable spreadsheetlike main view with grids for user name, password, description, Internet URL, E-Mail, and Expiration. The Help file isn't accessible in Vista and Windows 7 versions, though it is included, and Password Corral offers help in downloading an add-on that will let you view the Help file. However, this is cumbersome, and we'd like to see a proper Help file or, failing that, the Help file posted online. We do like the ability to import and export password data, which should come in handy for network users, work teams, and other multiuser environments, though we should note that it can export password data as a plain text CSV file, but if you plan to reimport data, it must be exported using an encrypted option.
Password Corral is a handy tool for collecting and saving your system passwords in a secure place. If you've ever struggled to remember a password you were sure you'd never forget, you can appreciate its value--especially since it's free.
From Cygnus Productions:
Password Corral is a freeware password manager with a clean, easy to use interface and strong encryption. Password Corral uses Blowfish or Diamond2 encryption to encrypt all the information you store in the program, keeping it safe from prying eyes. Each password can have both a short description and comments which can also contain hyperlinks to launch your web browser. Each password entry can also have an expiration date to remind you to change the password. The program can be set to time out to the Windows system tray area after a specified period of system inactivity and be protected by your master password, so even if you forget to close Password Corral and walk away from your PC, your password information can still be protected.
The program is customizable, allowing you to display your password information unencrypted on the screen, change the display fonts and hyperlink color and modify many of the security aspects of the program. You can export your password data in an encrypted (or unencrypted) format to keep a safe backup of your data or to transfer your passwords to another PC.
What's new in this version: A New plain text CSV export option has been added. Note that you cannot import a CSV file back into Password Corral. You must still use one of the encrypted export options if you plan on importing the data back into Password Corral.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Organize your passwords and print reports.
- Generate and secure your passwords.
- Manage and save usernames and passwords for multiple account ty...
- Secure your personal information, passwords, and budget.
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Import and export passwords saved in Firefox.
- Log what is being done on your computer in your absence.
- Design your own Web pages easily without having to know HTML.
- Save and secure all your logins/passwords and remember just one...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Great Password program"
Version: Password Corral 184.108.40.206
Easy to use
Lots of functions
No cons to report
I've tried lots of password programs but this one is the best. I've used it for over 8 years and never had a problem. You tend to use easy passwords so you don't forget them. I let Password corral generate complex passwords and use them for protection. Ok you have to open the program to retrieve password, but I think that is better then letting hackers get into your sensitive accounts such as banking etc.
Version: Password Corral 220.127.116.11
Great program... i have used this program several times. easy to use.
all good so far
great. i would recommend this to anyone who wants something that is easy to use and is secure.