CNET Editors' review
This well-written file-compression tool is a boon for novice users. PackITSuite's simple interface is more a wizard than a traditional function list and display window. With the very easy four-step approach, most users won't need the concise Help manual. Installing the trial does require users to enter a lot of personal data, but it isn't checked to run the demo.
PackITSuite runs a four-step wizard. Users first set the app to search for PowerPoint, Word, and JPEG files. It's as easy as clicking a single button to search the entire computer, or selecting from a list of folders with simple check-box ticks. You can easily limit the list to files larger than a user-set size. Searching is fast and quickly leads the user to the File Selection step. Again, check boxes are the selection method of choice. The third step sets the Output Settings. Users check radio buttons to save compressed files to the original folder, a new folder, a subfolder of the original, or to move the original files. We found file compression fast and the app correctly moved or replaced files without error.
Compressing the files allows them to still open with their original programs. We didn't find artifacts in the compressed image files; a common problem with some compression tools. The demo is a very short 10-use trial, but most users will quickly find if they like PackITSuite's approach and results.
From I-Logik Software:
PackITSuite Workstation Edition allows users to optimize and compress PowerPoint presentations, Word documents and Jpeg images (Digital Photos). Unique to the PackITSuite is an advanced search feature that allows users to find and locate these file types on their machine before compression. The PackITSuite has the ability to optimize and compress multiple files in one run of the application. This type of batch compression is ideal for freeing up large amounts of hard drive space. The file format is completely unchanged post compression meaning there is no zip/unzip process. The optimized/compressed file will look and behave in exactly the same way as the original. The PackITSuite is not required to view the optimized files. For example a PowerPoint presentation is still a PowerPoint presentation after compression. If you are more interested in a server/network solution please visit the I-Logik Web site.
Version 126.96.36.199665 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version 188.8.131.52665 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Search text through compressed files.
- Transform your PowerPoint presentations into web-ready Flash fo...
- Reduce the size of your PPT files.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Find and replace in multiple files. Regular expressions, multip...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Extract, edit, and save images from PowerPoint and Word documen...
- Manage inner structure of your computer applications.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Search and manage individual slides in PowerPoint.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Convert PPT files into protected Flash animations.
- Convert PowerPoint presentations into self-running EXE slide sh...
- Use your mobile phone to control your PowerPoint presentations.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Generate an on-the-fly Google Custom Search Engine.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Protect and optimize your SWF files.