Pacifist is an application for Mac OS X that opens up .pkg installer packages, .dmg disk images, .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .pax, and .xar archives, and more, and lets you install individual files out of them. This is useful if you need to install just one file out of a package instead of the entire package (for example, if you deleted your Preview application and need to reinstall it, but not the whole operating system), if you experience bugs in Installer.app that mess up your symbolic links, or if you just like a little more control over the installation process. Pacifist can open some archive formats over HTTP, in case you want to download only one file from a large .zip archive without downloading the whole file. Finally, Pacifist can examine the kernel extensions installed in your system to let you see what installer installed them, and whether the installer was made by Apple or a third-party.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed a bug that caused Pacifist to fail to open Java .jar files
- Fixed a bug that could cause Pacifist to incorrectly read a folder as an empty file in ZIP archives in rare cases
- Improved performance when extracting the entirety of a large archive (like the Yosemite installer)
- Fixed a bug that could cause modification dates of extracted folders to be incorrect
- Fixed a bug where closing the search results drawer manually by dragging it in could... See all new features »