CNET Editors' review
It's not especially difficult to use the Windows Task Scheduler to shut down your PC at a specific time, but it's not particularly convenient, either. And if you need more options or commands, your choice is limited. GoldSolution's PC Auto Shutdown answers many needs with flexible options for scheduling automatic shutdown, power-off, restart, hibernate, and other commands. Its wizard-based interface makes setting custom schemes a breeze. PC Auto Shutdown is shareware that is free to try for 15 days. The latest version fully supports Windows 8. We tried it in both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7.
When the program's installer closed, a compact window opened to its Timer tab, which displayed Add, Edit, and Delete buttons and a grid view sorted by Title, Status, Shutdown Event, Activation Time, and Frequency. Clicking Add produced the Timer Settings tool. We named and configured our timer from a range of features, including a weekly menu and various activation options, and clicked OK. We set our Shutdown time for 3 minutes and clicked Next.
The Wizard walked us through the remaining Tabs in turn, each clearly labeled by function: General, Hotkeys, Sound, Clean up, Password, and Log. The Clean up tab offered a menu of additional actions such as emptying the Recycle Bin and clearing browser data. The password tool is a valuable option when other users have access to your PC. After we'd set everything, we clicked OK, closed all our open programs, and waited. On schedule and without fuss, PC Auto Shutdown shut our system down. When we rebooted, everything ran normally. One thing we'd like to see is a visible countdown timer, perhaps with a flashing alert for when sound isn't an option.
Advanced users can program commands into PC Auto Shutdown, though we didn't try. For most users, PC Auto Shutdown offers more than enough extra capabilities, compared to Windows. It's quite inexpensive, so you can try it for a couple of weeks and see if it makes your life easier.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of PC Auto Shutdown 5.3.
PC Auto Shutdown helps you automatically shutdown, power off, reboot, hibernate, suspend or log off computers at schedule time you specifies. It can shut down computers at schedule time when no user is logged on or when computers are in suspended power conservation mode. It gives you different ways to schedule the shutdown event for your needs, such as daily, weekly and only once. During the shutdown, it can clean up Recycle Bin, temporary files, IE cache, IE cookies, IE history, IE auto-complete entries and recent document list to improve system performance and protect your privacy.
What's new in this version: Versions 5.6 include some minor tweaks.
More Products to Consider
- Manage your PC's power-on, shutdown, and sleep modes.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Automate your PC log off, restart, hibernate, and shutdown func...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Shutdown, reboot, or log off your PC at designated time.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Turn off, log off, lock, save screen, and make your computer sl...
- Automate your Microsoft Windows shutdown functions.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Shut the system down, reboot your PC or log off at specified ti...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Shutdown your computer automatically by time and others.
- Automate shutdown of PC after a certain time interval or at a p...
- Shut down, hibernate, stand by, or log off the computer unatten...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Extend capability of your workstation lock.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Shutdown your PC automatically.
- Shut down your PC and clean up unneeded temporary files.
- Customize your Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 logon screen.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 11 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1