CNET Editors' review
With its long history, Opera for Mac stands as one of the most popular Web browsers in the world. Despite its age, this free product has been constantly updated and optimized to run smoothly and keep feature parity with the rest of the competition. What set the app apart from other browsers are the handy mouse gestures, the Off Road mode that uses less traffic, and the handy news aggregator.
When opened, Opera for Mac presents you with its Speed Dial interface where you can pin your most used sites, set the number of columns, and group sites in folders. While browsing, you have the ability to send sites to the Speed Dial as well as the Stash via an address bar button. The Stash is the app's version of a reading list -- it saves articles for offline viewing and can be accessed in a new tab. Two nice features are the Off Road mode, which compresses the data you receive, saving traffic but reducing security, and mouse gestures for effortless browsing. The app supports plenty of themes and extensions that are available online for free. By registering for a free Opera account, you can sync browser settings across devices.
If you're looking for a fast and reliable browser, you won't be disappointed by Opera for Mac. It stands out when it comes to data compression and gesture support, as well as content discovery. You'll especially like the Discover section, available in new tabs, which lets you browse stories by subject and location, making your browsing experience more enjoyable.
From Opera Software:
Opera is a free and innovative web browser which allows you to experience the web on your terms. Discover what over 40 million people have already experienced by downloading Opera's fast and safe Internet browsers. Opera 17 combines elegant design, smart updates to some of our most popular features and new ways to customize Opera to your preferences.
More Products to Consider
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Explore the web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Web browser with Mozilla's rendering engine.
- Download a new, fast browser.
- Browse the web comfortably.
- Combine powerful browsing with media downloading and sharing.
- Browse the web with minimalism.
- Connect with friends, preview search results, and get website u...
- Beta channel of Google's web browser.
- Check out the latest beta of the next Firefox update.
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Rich media content plugin for the web.
- Web browser.
- Get the most out of social networking and the Web in this brows...
- Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML.
- Access Facebook without a web browser.
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout.
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- View satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, geographic...
- Full-featured read later and RSS client that supports services ...
- Block ad elements in Safari.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Firefox plugin to customize your MySpace page.
- Finds coupons for online shoppers during checkout automatically...
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 134 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Couldn't transfer bookmarks from Chrome"
Version: Opera 19.0.1326.63
I had used an older version while back and remembered liking it, so when Chrome was giving me trouble I thought of Opera. Downloaded the current version here.
2/23/14 - got latest version here, couldn't import bookmarks from Chrome, the help to tell how to do this specified "File > IImport/export" but that was not in my version!
No help number or forum! Deleted this one and an older version.
Eventually settled on Torch - a lot like Chrome, but without the bugs I've been having with Chrome.
I didn't really give it a fair test, I guess.