CNET Editors' review
My Lockbox takes the built-in ability to hide folders in Windows a huge step further by adding password protection, drag-and-drop capability, hot keys, trusted apps list, notifications, skins, and more. My Lockbox Free protects one folder per system, and it has a banner ad. A premium upgrade protects an unlimited number of folders and eliminates the banner ads. We tried the free version.
During setup, My Lockbox prompts you to create a username and password, though you can click OK to run the program without a password since it's very easy to set one up later on. You'll also need to designate a folder for My Lockbox to protect. My Lockbox placed two icons on our desktop: one for the program and another for its multitabbed options. Both open the same small dialog, actually, the Control Panel, but clicking Advanced opens the tabbed options section, and clicking Simple closes it: simple indeed. The Control Panel is dominated by a large Status button and a field to designate which folder we wanted to protect. We clicked Advanced to open the program's settings. The Options tab includes Stand By/Hibernation and system inactivity settings as well as a surprisingly long list of skins. The Password tab has a Hint field, something not every such program has but should. You can configure how My Lockbox checks for Updates, too. Unless you're changing your password or adding applications to the Trusted list, you probably won't need to use the options often. When we closed the Control Panel, My Lockbox showed an optional balloon Notification and activated its system tray icon. Clicking the tray icon and entering our password opened the Control Panel again.
You can drop files into the My Lockbox desktop icon or your unlocked, open folder to protect them. We unlocked My Lockbox and dragged some folders and files and dropped them into it. Explorer showed a folder with no contents, at least until we unlocked My Lockbox and clicked Open in the Control Panel. When we locked our folder again, the contents disappeared, and the folder, too. You'd never know it was there.
From FSPro Labs:
My Lockbox is a security software enabling you to password protect folders on your computer. The protected folder is hidden and locked from any user and application of your system and also from the net. To access the protected folder you have to provide a valid password. The program is extremely easy to use. You can protect the folder and set the password during the setup procedure. After the setup is finished, your folder will be hidden and locked until you enter the valid password. My Lockbox Control Panel allows you to easily change software parameters: password, location of the protected folders, hotkeys, trusted processes. In addition, a skinned user interface lets you choose from different skins to select the most comfortable look and feel of the software. The program is effective, extremely easy to use and best of all - free edition is available for download.
What's new in this version: Version 2.9.7 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Hide, lock, and password-protect your files and folders in seco...
- Lock your computer content with a password.
- Protect your folders from unauthorized access.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Hide your private folders from others.
- Lock, hide, encrypt, and password-protect personal files, folde...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Hide folder and file data with a powerful security software.
- Protect your folders with a password.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Lock your files and folders to protect them from unauthorized a...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Keep track of the time your kids spend in front of the computer...
- Detect potentially harmful Browser Helper Objects.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Find and remove specific viruses from your PC.
- Encrypt your sensitive data with this open-source software.
- Delete files from your computer permanently.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Find and remove specific viruses from your PC.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 175 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"I like the lock folder"
Version: My Lockbox 2.9.7
works great for locking up folder with many in it, and hides the folder after locked.
once you lose the password, you can't uninstall it or get a new password. I miss my lockbox. I am locked out until get a new password.
great but locked out. If anyone can help let me know here.I just reinstalled mylock box and got a new password so I get to use My Lockbox again. :) sweet!
Updated on May 6, 2013