CNET Editors' review
We take a pretty laid-back approach to gardening; when spring rolls around we put some plants in the ground, may or may not remember to water them, and then let nature take its course. My Garden Bytes is not a program that is meant for the likes of us. This complex database lets serious gardeners track every aspect of their horticultural endeavors, including plant growth, water, fertilizer, soil, light, and humidity. Unfortunately, we found using the program too frustrating to recommend it very highly, even for those who wish to keep such detailed records.
The program's interface is somewhat confusing, and we never really felt like we got a handle on exactly how to use it. You can create lists of gardens and plants, as well as journals for tracking daily or weekly progress. We found the process of creating new entries in any of these to be unintuitive and confusing. Some features just didn't seem to work; we clicked repeatedly on the Add Photo button in the journal interface but nothing happened. There doesn't seem to be any way to cross-reference the data in the various lists; as far as we could tell, there was no way to look at the entry for a particular garden and select the plants that are in it. There is a whole lot of room for detail in My Garden Bytes, especially for users who are breeding plants and carefully tracking their fertilizer use, but the program's comprehensive nature doesn't make up for how difficult it is to use. There's no real Help file, either, which compounds the problem. Most gardeners would likely be better off with another program--or just a notebook and a pen.
My Garden Bytes comes as a ZIP file and requires the installation of the .NET Framework if you don't already have it. It installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly.
From Ftronics Software:
I updated all of my code with VB2010 .NET4.0. Fixed all of the issue the old code caused with the new 64Bit releases of Windows. It is backward compatible with XP and includes an import wizard to bring your old data forward. I built a database and image file importer and exporter. I added XML importers and exports to all of the databases. I have also added much more room for comments and other data input boxes on all of the forms. This release is easier for amateur Hydroponics or Soil Gardeners to understand. So if your a beginner or an advanced gardener that makes their own fertilizers, this release makes it easy for you to record and recall your gardening information. This release fixes old issues that .NET1.1 and Windows7 had with the former release. I recommend installing this copy, importing your old databases and image files into it, then uninstall the previous version. this will insure you do not loose any data. This release is worth the download! Very nice...... :) Happy Gardening...
What's new in this version: We Fixed it All. Updated to .NET4.0 and corrected many issues with Windows 7/Vista 64-Bit.
More Products to Consider
- Create a media database containing all your collections.
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
- Design and visualize your ideas on landscaping.
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Your digital bookshelf.
- Design and print your own garden plan.
- Take a photo of your property and design the landscape.
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Receive alert notifications on natural phenomenon.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Play MPEG-4 movies with AAC sound with latest version of Apple'...
- Schedule referees for sporting events in given season.
- Add a Web browser plug-in for accessing rich interactive applic...
- Print passport photo and ID photo.
- Create a detailed inventory of your railroad collection.
- Count and time laps on your slot car track.
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Automate the process of publishing a catalogue or a directory.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Now Working With All Windows Versions"
Version: My Garden Bytes 11.8
No Limits, No license ad pop-ups when you start or close it down. Great way to track and maintain Many types of gardens and farms. For both soil and hydroponics applications.
You have to actually type in information.
Great title. Saves time, money and plants! Fantastic of you like to share gardening information and photos with friends.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content