CNET Editors' review
Making your money count is a big job, and managing your holdings, debts and investments is a large chunk of that responsibility. Monex, personal finance software, is supposed to help you get your finances in order, but we weren't that impressed.
This freeware program is intimidating at first glance. With a large empty screen with only a few tabs and menus at the top, getting started is more than a little confusing. After some random clicking and experimenting, most users will be able to find their way enough to create a new account. Here a window pops up allowing users to name the account, give a description, assign what type of account it is (a pull-down menu offers everything from checking account, stock, credit card and more), and how much money the account is worth. After entering all your accounts, a full tree will appear, with tabs for each account along the top, and their totals at the bottom.
We found Monex to be much more complicated than we anticipated, and there isn't enough user guidance. We had a difficult time seeing how all of the information we entered fit together and synced up. Additionally, navigating the screen was more difficult and less intuitive than we would have liked. Overall, there are worse personal finance downloads available, but there certainly are better. We suggest you keep looking for a more user-friendly program.
From Andrej Zavrsnik:
Monex is a personal finance manager based on double entry bookkeeping principles. An accounts tree view lets you organize your accounts into a tree structure. You can branch expense and income accounts or join accounts by currency or type, and create, remove or change your account tree structure depending on your needs. User can view current, cleared and total balances of a single account or a whole branch of accounts, as well as profits of stocks and funds. Select a list of transactions to calculate expenses/incomes and sums, and let the transaction history help you input similar transactions. Calculate account balances or transaction sums in different currencies or just exchange currencies. Schedule repeating transactions and let Monex do the work for you. Account for stock purchases and sales, and view how much profit you have made or are about to.
Version 0.723 adds a settings dialog, the ability to save to a single file, backup and archiving options, and many bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version 0.73 improved transaction suggestions filtering and sorting and introduced inline editing for one or more transactions.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- View the household budget and check your checkbook balance.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- Learn to speak Chinese with good pronunciation and rich everyda...
- Create spreadsheets, analyze and share information.
- Make sure your bills are paid on time.
- Organize your accounts, budget, and personal life.
- Recover lost and forgotten passwords from password protected VB...
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Keep track of your past and present stock holdings in MS Excel.
- Create and format spreadsheets, analyze and share information t...
All versions:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Monex 0.723
Probably would work great for a bookkeeper or accountant
I found no documentation, instructions or help.
It might develop into a good system when they can provide instructions and help.