CNET Editors' review
Microsoft's free security tools don't get the respect they deserve, but they're actually good performers. Take the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. This small, portable utility checks Windows XP, 2000, Server 2003, Vista, and 7 for infection by a range of known threats, including Blaster, MyDoom, and Sasser, and removes any threats it finds. Microsoft is quick to point out that the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is no substitute for antivirus software. It doesn't protect your system from infection; it merely finds and removes any known threats. It's available in separate downloads for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows versions, but the tool won't let you use the wrong version so there's little risk of getting it wrong. This program is fully portable, so it can run on any compatible Windows machine without having to be installed.
The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is utter simplicity to use. Its dialog-style interface offers three scan options: Quick, Full, and Customized. The Quick scan targets those areas most likely to be infected by malware. If none is found, the tool prompts you to run a Full scan, which scans your entire system thoroughly but can take several hours on large systems. The Customized scan performs a Quick scan and also scans user-specified folders. We started with the Quick scan. A green bar graph tracked the tool's progress as it rapidly scanned critical areas of our C drive. The Quick scan took less than a minute and found no malicious software, though we could view detailed results anyway, if we wanted to. But we moved on the Full scan. This took much longer, of course, but it was worth it to be sure than no crudware lurked in our system's deep dark corners.
Obviously Microsoft didn't waste a lot of resources on a zooty interface or a snappy market-tested name for this simple but effective scanner and cleanser, but it does release an updated version of it on the second Tuesday of each month. We strongly recommend downloading and running the latest version now and then, and every few months at a minimum.
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool checks Windows Vista, WIndows 7, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 computers for and helps remove infections by specific, prevalent malicious software--including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed. The tool creates a log file named mrt.log in the %WINDIR%\debug folder.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your system from different virus attacks.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Remove the Conficker Worm, including Conficker.A and Conficker....
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Scan for spyware and remove it from your computer.
- Provide cumulative roll-up updates for customer reported issues...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Graphics drivers.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- 810/815 chipset driver.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 32 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool 5.3
*Simple to use.
*None that I can think of.
A great malware removal tool.
It does not run in the background (nor is it intended to) - it's an on-demand scan that expires 10 days after the initial download. This is to keep the file integrity in check and to ensure that the latest definitions are used.
I have seen that scan time takes a 'long time' - I wouldn't say that as such. You tend to only run an on-demand scan if you're suspicious that you have malware; or it's part of a weekly/monthly maintenance schedule.
I believe this is an underrated tool and has helped me out (a professional IT Technician) in numerous circumstances!