CNET Editors' review
We have loved mahjong--or the popular computer version of it, which is really mahjong solitaire--ever since we first encountered it in our middle school computer lab. True mahjong is a multiplayer table game and bears little resemblance to the computer game that most Westerners know, which involves matching mahjong-style tiles with one another in order to clear the board. Mahjong In Poculis is the latter. If you're looking for traditional mahjong, this isn't it, but if you're a lover of mahjong solitaire, be prepared to spend a big chunk of your time with this addictive game.
The game's home screen lets you select your language, add players, and choose a difficulty level (child, standard, or expert). There are six themes to choose from--Asian, Halloween, neutral, wonderland, Easter, and Christmas--and each theme contains numerous different tile setups that reflect the theme. You must complete the first game in order to move on to the next one, with award medals along the way. The program's graphics are quite attractive, with options for 2D and 3D rendering, and each theme contains matching music that has its own volume control. A built-in Help file gives new users an overview of how the game is played, and a really detailed scoring interface gives serious players plenty of stats about their performance. We do wish that Mahjong In Poculis let you save games that are in progress, but this is a relatively minor complaint. Overall, this is the best digital version of mahjong that we've encountered, and we recommend it.
Mahjong In Poculis installs a desktop icon without asking and leaves a folder behind upon removal.
Mahjong In Poculis is a Mahjong Solitaire game developed with simplicity in mind to let you peacefully challenge your memory. This game is better with large screens. The game comes with 6 fun themes having for each one 50 layouts and 5 medals to win. Each theme (Christmas, Halloween, Asian, Easter, Wonderland and Future) has its own layouts, graphics, musics and sound effects.
To play Mahjong Solitaire, you have to select pairs of tiles having identical symbols to make them disappear. The main difficulty comes from the classical Mahjong Solitaire rules: only layout's border tiles are candidates for selection. The game is won when there is no tile left on the board. The main key words are: discipline, strategy and of course a little bit of luck. There is a 5 step in-game tutorial that quickly reminds you the game rules. Whatever your playing mode, you can challenge your best time or your best score. For scores, you can make Combos, i.e: a specific sequence of pairs giving you more points. Best scores come from this kind of sequence: a pair of 1 followed with a pair of 2, a pair of 3 and so on until a pair of 9. Such a sequence gives you more than 177 000 points if the tiles come from the same family.
What's new in this version: Version 5 is a full rewrite of the game to make it runs on mobile devices.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Build a winning hand before the mah-jongg tiles fill up the scr...
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Play a tile-matching game of ancient Japan.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Learn the real fundamental rules of ancient Mahjong game.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Play Mahjongg solitaire with 3000 layouts, chat and compete wit...
- Play eight different puzzle solitaire card games on your PC.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Select tiles and match them up.
- Add various game tabs to your Microsoft MSN Messenger.
- Play 3D Mahjong game.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Find and remove matching pairs of tiles.
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Download and manage your Jenkat games.
- Play Spider Four Suits and four other spider solitaire card gam...
- Play mahjong online with thousands of players from around the w...
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 57 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Same as other Mahjong"
Version: Mahjong In Poculis 5.006
fast, good choice of patterns
Don't care about asking for donations after every game
Same as other games I have bought. It has different ending where you have to complete the game on a dark screen. Don't know why. I wouldn't pay for it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content