CNET Editors' review
MacTVision is an app that allows you to stream television feeds to your Mac OS device. The trial copy of MacTVision can be download from a number of sites (although not from the App Store), while the full version will cost $39.95 as a one-time cost, with no monthly fees. MacTVision installs easily.
MacTVision is designed to allow you to stream television and radio feeds to your Mac, although you are limited to what the publisher offers. Fortunately, there's a huge variety of options, covering more than 1,000 channels in all, with the ability to actually create your own feeds, too. The MacTVision interface lists channels, programs, series, movies or whatever you select, and simply clicking on one of the items starts a stream feed to your Mac. You can rate shows through the interface and get feeds from Hulu, YouTube, and other services. The quality isn't HD, but it did seem better than the feed from Netflix, for example, in our testing.
Unfortunately, the free trial version of MacTVision lasts only three days, so evaluating the software before you decide to purchase means you have to be willing to dive in and spend some time with it. If you're looking for a cable-free television feed, MacTVision may be an alternative for you, although some will find it limiting. Having said that, there's no other app we know of that currently offers as broad a range of streaming services.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of MacTVision for Mac 126.96.36.199.0.
MacTVision allows you to view your favorite TV shows, catch live news, watch the game, or even stream radio right from your Mac. Easy to use, unbelievably priced. 1 in 5 people will be cutting their cable and satellite service this year in favor of Internet based TV. MacTVision features full episodes of popular television shows, streaming channels and news, FULL length movies, videos, and even streaming radio. You get direct online streams of news, sports, local stations, network stations, and even global media outlets. Not to mention integrated service with millions of streams from YouTube, programming from Revision3 and Hulu.
What's new in this version: Extended 10.7 Support, New Season Shows, Minor Bug Repairs
More Products to Consider
- Play Blu-ray disc/movies and watch 1080p HD video on Mac.
- Watch live TV from channels around the world on your Mac.
- Convert files between flv, mpeg 1/2/4, 3gp, mp3, m4a, wmv, wma,...
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Play, import, convert and export Windows Media video and audio ...
- Motion graphics & visual effects for film, video, multimedia, w...
- DVD authoring tool.
- Convert mov files to JPG images.
- Advanced screen recording application.
- Create and edit HDR or Exposure Blended images.
- Multi-camera video surveillance app.
- Free Mac video editor software. Easily edit movies and video cl...
- Convert MP4, WMV, AVI, MOV, MKV, AVCHD MTS/M2TS, MXF, FLV, MP3,...
- Easily and seamlessly extracts objects from images.
- Broadcast and access videos and radio on the Internet.
- Download and convert videos from various websites.
- Strip text formatting, remove empty lines & more.
- Mac App Store front-end with search sorting, discount finder, m...
- Play Blu-ray movies, 1080p HD video and any other media with a ...
- Convert camcorder AVCHD(.mts,.m2ts) videos.
- Preview VR panoramas in Photoshop while editing.
- Create, edit and convert to MP4 video format.
- View thousands of online TV shows, streaming channels, videos, ...
- Post time to several services to make invoicing easier.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 20 votes
Current version:1.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"One half of my answer"
Version: MacTVision 188.8.131.52.0
free tv worked well
encrypted channels - really the only ones I watch were blocked
nice toy, but better solutions for not much money
Version: MacTVision 184.108.40.206.0
Nice Icon, not much else
It basically looks up programming that requires you to watch tons of advertisements. Just like Hulu which is where many of the tv shows come from.
The majority of channels say "no videos found". The video tab just reveals a bunch of old cartoons. Not sure what is going on here. I don't find this app on MacUpdate. I find no forums that are dedicated to the uses of this app. The support page is pretty useless...It is pretty much money down the drain.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content