CNET Editors' review
Notepad for Mac is a note-taking app for Mac OS X. A trial version is available from several download sites, while the full licensed version of Notepad for Mac will cost you $20. Notepad for Mac installs easily.
The concept behind Notepad for Mac is that any text can be saved and pasted into any app. You can drag and drop text from one app to another, or you can cut and paste to the Notepad for Mac. As text is moved through Notepad for Mac, it builds up a history list, which lets you recall any content and reuse it quickly. Notepad for Mac supports passwords, so you can protect your sensitive notes from others. There's a flexible search capability that can scan through all the notes you've made and pull up matches. The search allows wildcards, so you can look for text based on expression patterns. There's a full set of text tools available, so you can format your notes on the notepad any way you want. You can print directly from Notepad for Mac, too.
We used Notepad for Mac for almost a month to see if it added to our productivity. It's a mixed bag. While the ability to drag and drop any text is handy, this is not something that's new to Mac OS anyway. Storing and managing notes is fine, but there are apps for free that do the same job. In the end, we're not convinced that spending $20 has really given us anything we couldn't get elsewhere with no cost.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Mac Notepad for Mac 126.96.36.1996.Mac NotePad - Create and edit text documents easily - Download Video Previews:
Hold that thought! Now you can store any piece of text right at your fingertips thanks to Mac Notepad, the new Mac OS X note pad program from Apimac. Mac Notepad is the "missing notepad application" you've been waiting for. You'll never be at a loss for words again! Designed from the ground up to support the latest Apple technologies, Mac Notepad allows you to save, copy, paste and organize all your favorite snippets with ease. You can drag the text from other applications, drop a text file from Finder or, of course, write it yourself. Mac Notepad is a great tool to boost your productivity and creative output by not letting those great thoughts and ideas just slip away. You can assign a title and category to each note. Notes are easily retrieved by category or content by simply typing the text in a search field. Recents menu A handy Recents Menu keeps track of your latest edited notes. Notes can be edited at will and text can be customized with a choice of fonts, styles and colors. If you need a hard copy, go to the "Print" function in the menu. Iconized window Mac Notepad sports the brand new Iconize feature. Just click and your notepad becomes a small, handy window that floats on top of all other windows. To access the note again, just click on the icon. Password Protection Our unique privacy features allows you to protect your personal notes with a password. If this option is selected, a password dialog box will be displayed when the Mac Notepad database opens.
What's new in this version:
- Many user interface improvements.
- New mail note feature.
- New categories source list.
- Multiple selection of notes.
- Drag and drop to export notes. Dragging notes to a folder will export the selected notes into the folder.
- Drag and drop to import notes. Dropping a folder onto the source notes list will import all files contained in the folder.
- New import and export formats. Supported formats now are: Plain text, Styled Text (Simple Text)... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- Themeable GTD to-do list app with cloud sync.
- Spoken-word transcription software.
- Track and monitor all your income and expenses quickly and easi...
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Notepad and memos with hierarchical structure.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Get stock market quotes from almost any stock exchange in the w...
- Directly edit the Apple address book database file.
- Combined notepad and clipboard manager.
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Strip text formatting, remove empty lines & more.
- Gesture-controlled to-do list app that's just plain simple.
- Personal database manager, a natural and easy way to organize d...
- Screenshot tool with important features for frequent screen sho...
- Recents and favorites for folders, documents, applications, sit...
- Personal task management.
- Alternative to other mileage tracking apps that require recordi...
- Create, View, Organize, Access, Protect Your Notes, Sync Apple ...
- Create slideshow presentations.
- Universal PC to Mac cyrillic encodings converter.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"This is not like microsoft notepad!"
Version: Mac Notepad 188.8.131.526
you are allowed to instantly open a file without having to go to file
No graphics what so ever!!!!
useful but rather microsoft notepad!!!!!!!!!!
Version: Mac Notepad 184.108.40.2066
Categories allow multiple groups of entries
Very useful software