CNET Editors' review
Lavasoft File Shredder shreds temporary files and removes browsing histories. It worked fast to get our computer in tip-top shape.
The interface is simple, but very professional. There appears to be a Help tab on the right side of the window, but its not activated. Thankfully it's not necessary because the program is very intuitive, and it walks you through each process. The list of buttons on the left side of the screen lets you pick the files and folders that you want to shred. When we chose to shred our temporary Internet files, a list of the available files popped up and we had the choice of three shredding algorithms--HMG Infosec, DOD (Department of Defense), or the US Army. Considering how many temporary Internet files we had (were talking more than 4,000), the program was quick to clear our computer. We were able to view the log of shredded items via the Settings menu.
We appreciate that there aren't any limitations during the trial that prevent you from taking full advantage of the program. The 30-day trial is more than enough time to learn the ins and outs of the program. This programs great design makes it suitable for users of all skill levels.
Even after you delete a file, it still remains on your computer and special software can be used to recreate it. Make sure the sensitive online information you throw away stays deleted. Lavasoft File Shredder is certified for Windows Vista (TM), permanently removes any sensitive digital information from your computer including Word documents, Excel, PowerPoint, music, videos, and photos, conveniently shreds with drop and drag functionality, shreds temporary files, cleans computing history, and supports the Department of Defence (DoD) shredding algorithm, using seven rounds of overwriting, as well as all other advanced standards.
Version 18.104.22.168 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version 22.214.171.124 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Encrypt or decrypt your files to protect them.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Secure your EXE files with passwords.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Encrypt files quickly with AES-256 algorithm and protect passwo...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Lock your files and folders to protect them from unauthorized a...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Delete files with no chance to recover them.
- Encrypt your personal information to protect your privacy.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect and manage files and create protected documents.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Encrypt e-mails, files, folders and USB flash drives.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Create password protected encrypted files, email attachments an...
- Keep your personal folders, files, and documents private.
- Rename a file or a file extension.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"THE BEST in THE WEST"
Version: Lavasoft File Shredder 2009 126.96.36.199
Very Cheap for what it does . If you do it right you can shred a whole drive . . Check out the number of passes . More passes possible than any other Shredder that I have found . I bought the 3 yr package . I use it daily .
You would have to be patience shredding on a low speed computer . Try the Free 30 day download and see how it works for you
More passes possible than any other Shredder that I have Referenced and used .
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: