CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link will take you to the Amazon Kindle Web site, where you can scan a QR code to download the app. It is also available in the Android Market app on your Android phone.
CNET Editors' review
The free Kindle app for Android is a rock-solid e-reader option that seamlessly ties to your Amazon account. It may not have many bells or whistles, but it does its job well, and can easily reach into Amazon.com's enormous library of downloadable works.
The app opens up directly into your Kindle library, which shows all of the books tied to your account. If you want to expand your library, you can tap the Kindle Store button on the top right and sift through Amazon.com's catalog of books, magazines, and newspapers. And thanks to a recent update, the Kindle app can now also handle illustrated children's books, comics, and graphic novels. If you're not quite ready to commit to a purchase, Kindle lets you preview the first chapter of any book before buying.
Kindle's in-book experience is as straightforward as it gets. To turn the page, simply swipe or tap somewhere in the margin. A tap to the center of the page brings up status, location information, and reader controls. There's also a menu at the top of your screen, in case you want to change text size, brightness, or background color. Background choices include black, white, or my personal favorite, sepia. Hopefully Amazon adds other textures and colors to enhance the experience.
As with Kindle on other platforms, this app remembers where you put your bookmarks, though it would be nice if we could rename the bookmark, rather than try to remember each assigned location.
Finally, the Kindle app for Android now supports the Send to Kindle feature, which allows you to send files to your account in the cloud and access them from your Android device. Supported file types include JPG, DOC, RTF, PDF, and more.
If you're looking for fancy visuals like 3D page-turning, then look elsewhere. Otherwise, Kindle for Android is a perfectly capable e-reader, and is the no-brainer choice for those already locked into the Amazon ecosystem.
The Kindle app puts over a million books at your fingertips. It's the app for every reader, whether you're a book reader, magazine reader, or newspaper reader--and you don't need to own a Kindle to use it. Choose from over a million Kindle books from the Kindle Store or enjoy popular magazines like The Economist and Reader's Digest with high-resolution color images.*
Read Free Books--Choose from thousands of free ebooks such as Pride & Prejudice or The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Shop for Books--Easily shop for ebooks, including new releases and New York Times Best Sellers.
Use the Built-In Dictionary, Google, and Wikipedia--The Kindle app has a built-in dictionary that allows you to look up words instantly while you're reading your ebooks. Simply tap and hold a word to view its definition or use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
Sync Your eBooks--The Kindle app lets you read the same book across devices and automatically syncs where you left off so you can start reading on one device and pick up where you left off on another device. The app syncs your furthest page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights between Android, PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 8, and any of our Kindle devices using our Whispersync technology.
Sample Books Before You Buy--Read the first chapter of a book for free before you decide to buy.
Customize Your Reading--Choose your preferred font size, screen brightness, background color, and orientation (portrait or landscape) to read your books.
Borrow eBooks from the Library--Check out ebooks from your local library and have them delivered wirelessly to your Kindle app.
Read print replica textbooks on Android tablets. Print Replica Kindle books maintain the rich formatting and layout of their related print editions and provide features to help students study smarter including ability to highlight passages, add margin notes, and search for keywords. Whispersync technology saves and synchronizes your bookmarks, notes, and highlights across your devices.
What's new in this version:
More Products to Consider
- English - Hindi and Hindi - English Dictionary ( ).
- Translate English to Tamil.
- The Holy Bible, New King James Version Bible, NKJV.The Old Test...
- Get an English dictionary application for your Android device.
- Best Daily Positive Affirmations at your fingertips! Want to th...
- The Best Way To Keep Up With Medical Research.
- This Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas APP Has:- Every Cheat for AL...
- Alkitab: Indonesian Bible with Section Headings and Parallel Ve...
- Brain Structure:In this study: Anatomy of Brain Structure.Are b...
- Scan your essay, article, term paper or dissertation with a sin...
- Lose Weight Permanently On The Paleo Diet And Remain Slim Forev...
- Ranked as the #1 Amazon Kindle blog since 2010!.
- The buddy system isn't just for little kids crossing the street...
- Effect of a cool little game.Everyone loves to play a single ga...
- "Free Kindle Books Every day " brings you great "paid to be" bo...
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Free books, all you can eat. Fresh daily.One of the best things...
- Get Sinhala Tamil English dictionary for your Android device.
- How Gain Muscle Fast? this app has the best information out the...
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Access popular eBook community where readers discover, share, a...
- Take users' opinions and transfer them into a thesis statement.
- Quickable for eBay, Craigslist & Facebook - Sell. Buy. Anything...
- Experience profoundly altered states of awareness and explorati...
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"very slow search, only the built-in dictionaries"
Version: Kindle 18.104.22.168
It allows me to read most of my kindle library.
Very slow search: apparently no index is used.
I cannot add another dictionary (say Russian).
"It's more than I expected for FREE!"
Version: Kindle 22.214.171.124
Ability to highlight & bookmark, and then return to those locations easily. Adding a bookmark is as simple as touching the top right corner of screen and the corner of the page 'folds'. Very cool.
Ability to change font size and background color, white, black or sepia. So reading in varying light conditions is comfortable.
Carousel view of all my downloaded books, with visible % percentage of read.
Ability to lock view in by touching lower right-corner and locking or unlocking small lock icon. (portrait or landscape).
Cannot change font type. (Serif or Sans-Serif) depending on type of literature.
No major cons.
Totally GREAT App! I wanted to buy an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, which has all the extra features not available on this app. But am travelling in Europe and Asia, so i got started with this app on my Android phone for now. Very impressed! I have full access to the Kindle Store and i can preview or purchase books. Can't wait to get my own Real Kindle Paperwhite, but for now this is a great way to start reading all of my downloaded .mobi books! Thanks Amazon Developers for this great Android App!
ps. I am using Kindle Version 126.96.36.199 on a Samsung Android phone, Excellent!!!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content