CNET Editors' review
Electronic books have changed the public's reading habits, and millions worldwide now read books, magazines, and other content on handheld readers like Amazon's Kindle. A lot of work went into making Kindle as book-like as possible while still preserving the advantages of an electronic device, such as a customizable interface, variable type size, notes, data storage, and more. Kindle for PC is freeware that lets you access your Kindle titles without a Kindle device. Its Whispersync feature automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and settings between a wide range of compatible devices.
Installing and setting up Kindle for PC is a snap if you already own a Kindle or have an Amazon.com account: just enter your ID and password, and Kindle for PC opens with your account in place. Clicking Archived Items accesses your saved titles. Kindle for PC works much like the handheld device, with a basic but quite user-friendly interface, simple controls, and PC-specific features, such as an outlined graphic that pops up with helpful instructions for using the mouse to do what you do with your fingers on the handheld device. We clicked Shop in the Kindle Store to add some titles; you can buy e-books, but there are literally millions of free titles available to download through Amazon.com directly to your Kindle or, as we discovered, to Kindle for PC, from sites like the Open Library, Internet Archive, and Gutenberg Project. We didn't need to look past the first page to select "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A few clicks, and the e-book was in our Archive. We opened it and immediately began to read a facsimile of the first story, "A Scandal in Bohemia." Navigation was easy with the scroll wheel or by clicking either of the Back and Forward arrows that appeared to the left and right of the text when we hovered our mouse there. Clicking the Font icon on the toolbar let us quickly and easily change font size, words per line, color mode, and brightness, which is welcome since e-books vary in text quality, layout, and contrast. Kindle's bookmarks never fall out, unlike magazine coupons and other improvised paper bookmarks.
Amazon.com is pushing Kindle as nothing less than the future of reading, and it's got a good start on that ambitious goal. Kindle for PC brings your home PC, laptop, and other non-Kindle devices into the loop, and without losing your place.
Get the best reading experience available on your PC. No Kindle required. Access your Kindle books even if you don't have your Kindle with you. Automatically synchronizes your last page read and annotations between devices with Whispersync. Create new highlights, notes, and bookmarks and manage those created on your Kindle. Full screen reading view, color modes, and brightness controls offer an immersive reading experience. Shop for books in the Kindle store.
More Products to Consider
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Read e-books and other digital books on your computer.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Enhance your electronic reading experience.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Read the CBR files.
- USB driver.
- Search for items at Amazon.com by selecting text on any Web pag...
- A Web browser based on Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 or 5.
- Read books and collections on your Kindle store.
- USB driver.
- Type in Hindi using iTrans scheme of transliteration.
- USB driver.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 82 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"GREAT AP to categorize your Kindle books...."
Version: Kindle for PC 1.10.8 build 40514
I "love" this. I have almost 2000 Kindle books in my Cloud Reader and this makes it SO easy to sort them into different categories. I just don't understand why this isn't available as an ap for the Kindle Fire. That would make SO much sense to have it on the Kindle. But...having it on my computer is better than nothing. I have several different collections (categories). Mystery; Historical; Romance; Western; Paranormal; Fantasy; Recipes & Cookbooks; Misc; and others. Makes it much easier to find the type of book I want to read next.
The ONLY thing I don't like about this is that I can't put it on my Kindle Fire. Please make it available as a Kindle ap.
Get it...you won't regret it...especially if you are an avid reader like I am.I also have a collection named "Already Read" where I put the titles after I read them and remove them from whatever collection they were in before I read them.
Updated on Apr 4, 2014
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content