CNET Editors' review
For a free Internet filter, K9 Web Blocker does its job well, providing a broad collection of options for customizing your remote Web supervision needs.
To run the program, you must register on the Web site to get the free activation code. The control panel is accessible only through the Internet. Uninstalling requires removing the app from the Task Manager, then using its password to delete it from the Windows Control Panel, and finally, rebooting. Because the password gets sent to the e-mail account of the person who registered the program, it's possible that an enterprising user could disable K9 on a shared computer.
Despite those drawbacks, K9 comes with a handful or so of predesigned filters and an option to customize. With more than 50 categories for organizing Web sites, and the keyword-free proprietary K9 rating system, the Web monitoring and blocking aspects of the software functioned well. K9 also has categories for blocking sites that have been detected as potential malware threats. Equally impressive, and a little bit scary, was the log that detailed not just blocked Web sites but also every Web site visited.
K9 Web Blocker is a good, free program for those who are concerned solely with Web surfing, but the lack of a chatware filter leaves some holes for predation.
From Blue Coat Systems:
K9 Web Protection is easy-to-use Parental Control and Internet filtering software that helps parents protect their children online. K9 Web Protection has the ability to block adult, porn and other offensive content, prevent spyware infections, and monitor visited sites on any Internet access connection (AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Earthlink). Based on commercial-grade Web filtering controls from Blue Coat Systems, K9 Web Protection is unique among content filters and it is free for home use. K9 can be configured as a porn blocker, a spyware stopper, a gambling filter or various other configurations based on our over 69 Web categories.
What's new in this version: Version 4.4.268:
- Windows 8 Metro App filtering support
- Implemented experimental Advanced YouTube Filtering
- Added additional configuration options: Disable HTTPS block notifications, Disable Google SSL redirection, Separate Option for YouTube Safety Mode
- Improved HTTPS filtering
- Compatibility with more Antivirus and Firewall vendors
More Products to Consider
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Restrict access to pornographic Web sites.
- Protect children from porn web.
- Protect your family online, block harmful content, and control ...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Monitor and restrict adult content in browsers and chat windows...
- Prevent your children from accessing adult-oriented Web sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Prevent access to adult sites, block file sharing, spyware, and...
- Monitor Internet connections to protect your child from unsuita...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Protect your children and monitor Internet use.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Supervise your children's access to Web sites and block unhealt...
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- Detect unauthorized access to your computer.
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Block known pornography sites and scan and analyze images to pr...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 292 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: K9 Web Protection 4.4.268
No pros, uninstalled as soon as I noticed viruses; have not yet been able to get rid of them.
Contains severe malicious viruses: Key loggers/password stealers; browser modifiers; adware and popups.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS!