CNET Editors' review
When using photos taken from a digital camera, people sometimes find that the file size can make displaying and sending images problematic. Image Smith for Mac allows users to easily compress these photos for use on the Web or elsewhere.
Available as a free trial version, Image Smith for Mac has a 15-day usage limit. Unlocking the full version requires a payment of $15.95. The program's native installer worked well and the program was up and running quickly after we accepted a lengthy user agreement. Support is available and regular updates have come out to fix any bugs. No instructions were readily apparent, which would have been a good addition since the program's interface would be confusing for early Mac users. Images for conversion load into the program quickly. Users may alter the file size using a slider and can change other properties such as color and brightness, among others. A preview option, which is easy to locate in the menu, allows the user to see the effect the changes have on the image. Conversion of a single photo took place quickly. The ability to convert photographs in batches was a welcome addition to the program, especially for those with heavy conversion needs. Since this is not a full photo editor, complex changes cannot be made to images.
For users who need to alter the size of photo files for other uses, Image Smith for Mac is a simple, but effective option.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Image Smith for Mac 1.2.9.
From Koingo Software:
Image Smith is a powerful batch image processing tool. With a variety of features you can easily scale, reorient, recolorize, convert, and flatten images. Image Smith can open numerous different picture file types, and output in the most common industry standard formats like JPEG, GIF, and PNG. Use the numerous predefined presets in Image Smith to scale or stretch images down to formats suitable for web banners, e-mailing photos, backups, and more! This is ideal for taking large photos from your camera, which may be upwards of five megabytes each, and scaling and converting them down to a manageable size of only a few hundred kilobytes. Many power-user features are also included: changing the color levels, applying a sepia effect, inverting, changing the contrast, auto-levelling, extracting image masks, and rotating by angle. Additionally, also easily preview the effect of the settings before processing the entire set. Image Smith is available for both Macintosh and Windows, and ensures you get the same experience on whichever computer you are on.
What's new in this version: Fixed many memory-related crashes.
More Products to Consider
- Create or download 3D models.
- Create or download 3D models.
- Create and process PDF documents.
- Convert PDF to most formats including word documents, images, a...
- Convert PDF files to various formats.
- Paint app similar to MacPaint & Microsoft Paint.
- 3D modeling, animation & rendering tool.
- Outline home plans, lay out furniture & view the results in 3D.
- Monitor system for specific events and perform an array of uniq...
- Photo restoration and retouching.
- Access all display resolutions and bit depths.
- Create various architectural designs.
- Make a wide variety of modifications to your PDF documents.
- Create click-by-click adventure games, interactive tutorials, s...
- Create gorgeous slideshows easily.
- Edit, convert, and annotate PDF files.
- Amazon-enabled home inventory system for books, movies.
- Screen capture and screen recorder software for Mac.
- Photo painting software that's fun for all ages.
- Join multiple PDF files into one single PDF file.
- Page layout & design.
- Strongly encrypt important data and personal info.
- Recover Images, Videos and Audio from Mac and More.
- Create pop art designs on your Mac.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: