CNET Editors' review
When using photos taken from a digital camera, people sometimes find that the file size can make displaying and sending images problematic. Image Smith for Mac allows users to easily compress these photos for use on the Web or elsewhere.
Available as a free trial version, Image Smith for Mac has a 15-day usage limit. Unlocking the full version requires a payment of $15.95. The program's native installer worked well and the program was up and running quickly after we accepted a lengthy user agreement. Support is available and regular updates have come out to fix any bugs. No instructions were readily apparent, which would have been a good addition since the program's interface would be confusing for early Mac users. Images for conversion load into the program quickly. Users may alter the file size using a slider and can change other properties such as color and brightness, among others. A preview option, which is easy to locate in the menu, allows the user to see the effect the changes have on the image. Conversion of a single photo took place quickly. The ability to convert photographs in batches was a welcome addition to the program, especially for those with heavy conversion needs. Since this is not a full photo editor, complex changes cannot be made to images.
For users who need to alter the size of photo files for other uses, Image Smith for Mac is a simple, but effective option.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Image Smith for Mac 1.2.9.
From Koingo Software:
Image Smith is a powerful batch image processing tool. With a variety of features you can easily scale, reorient, recolorize, convert, and flatten images. Image Smith can open numerous different picture file types, and output in the most common industry standard formats like JPEG, GIF, and PNG. Use the numerous predefined presets in Image Smith to scale or stretch images down to formats suitable for web banners, e-mailing photos, backups, and more! This is ideal for taking large photos from your camera, which may be upwards of five megabytes each, and scaling and converting them down to a manageable size of only a few hundred kilobytes. Many power-user features are also included: changing the color levels, applying a sepia effect, inverting, changing the contrast, auto-levelling, extracting image masks, and rotating by angle. Additionally, also easily preview the effect of the settings before processing the entire set. Image Smith is available for both Macintosh and Windows, and ensures you get the same experience on whichever computer you are on.
What's new in this version:
- New Feature: Can now preview images in the main window instead of separately.
- New Feature: File list now shown in main window with mini image previews.
- New Feature: Can now zoom in and out of preview or view at actual size.
- New Feature: GIFs and animated GIFs can now be cropped, rotated, and scaled without losing transparency and animation.
- New Feature: Rename files dynamically when processing ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Create or download 3D models.
- Create and process PDF documents.
- Convert PDF files to various formats.
- Outline home plans, lay out furniture & view the results in 3D.
- Create or download 3D models.
- 3D modeling, animation & rendering tool.
- Paint app similar to MacPaint & Microsoft Paint.
- Create various architectural designs.
- Explore new paths with this vector tool.
- Work with CDR files on your Mac.
- Convert PDFs and images to text via OCR.
- Page layout & design.
- Photoshop plug-in to reduce noise & grain.
- Multi-technique animation software for hobbyists, students and ...
- Rotate and scale digital JPEG Images and change filenames.
- Capture and record the activity on your screen.
- Vector graphics (SVG) drawing tool.
- Recover media files from your HDD, USB or other storage devices...
- Design home and office interiors on Mac.
- Turn your digital photos into stunning photo albums with 3D pag...
- Easily and seamlessly extracts objects from images.
- Monitor system for specific events and perform an array of uniq...
- Make your photo collages.
- Produce flatbed and film scans and restore faded colors.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: