CNET Editors' review
Although it's supposed to reveal passwords hidden behind asterisks, this free program wasn't always successful.
IE Asterisk Password Uncover has a plain user interface with minimal menu and toolbar options. As simple as the interface appears to be, the features are vague. Since the Help feature only takes you to the product page, you're on your own in figuring things out. The two primary command buttons--start recovery and stop recovery--seem straightforward, but nothing seemed to happen after clicking them. We navigated to several pages with log-in data, but often no information was picked up by IE Asterisk Password Uncover. Some testers found that logging into a site somehow triggered the program, and the site's URL and incomplete password information appeared in the window. That seems to defeat the purpose of the program since users had to know the password before it would be partially revealed. Even when it does work, there's no option to save any of the information, so when you close the program and reopen it, your log-in information is gone. You'll have to manually note any password information IE Asterisk Password Uncover finds.
Even the fact that it's free doesn't make this program any more appealing. We suggest you skip this one; there are better programs out there.
IE Asterisk Password Uncover allows you to view passwords hidden with asterisks in password fields in Web pages and ActiveX controls. It comes in handy when you have forgotten your passwords. When you login into a Web site with user name and password, you sometimes have the option to store the password in your computer. If you choose to save the password, the next time that you will visit this site, the password field will be automatically filled with your password, but you won't be able to view it, because the password-box shows the password as sequence of asterisks.
More Products to Consider
- Reveal your passwords behind asterisks.
- Show passwords hidden under asterisks.
- Reveal passwords stored behind asterisks in standard password t...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- View stored passwords by your Internet Explorer browser.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Get the latest antivirus updates.
- Get updated virus pattern files.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Set enumeration parameters and enumerate computers in a domain.
- Update Norton virus definitions and antivirus products.
- View visited web sites and cookies of Internet Explorer.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Check your system for Windows vulnerabilities.
- Discover user information with a finger tool.
- Hide, lock, and password protect any files.
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- View and recover passwords and other critical information for v...
- Recover lost or forgotten passwords used in an application or W...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"NOT GOOD - Wouldn't even run"
Version: IE Asterisk Password Uncover 1
After I installed the program, the UI opened fine but as soon as I tried to scan for passwords, I got the 'Windows encountered a problem and program needs to shut down' error. After a few tries, I said screw it and uninstalled.