CNET Editors' review
HoudahGeo is an all-in-one app for geocoding and geotagging your photos, so you can keep track of where they were taken and upload them to sites like Google Earth and Flickr.
HoudahGeo provides a variety of ways to link your photos to geographic locations (using exportable EXIF, XMP, or IPTC tags), whether you're using a GPS track-logging device or you're entering locations manually, with coordinates, a built-in map, or Google Earth. You can even just take occasional, lower-quality reference photos (for example, with your iPhone 3G), and HoudahGeo will automatically geocode photos taken with your higher-res camera later based on the time frame. HoudahGeo supports most popular photo-library software, including iPhoto, Lightroom, and Aperture, and you can publish to EveryTrail.com. The most-recent updates have also added higher-quality maps and satellite images. (Although note that HoudahGeo now no longer supports Mac OS X 10.4.)
With its stability, broad set of features, quick and intuitive workflow, and extras like KML export, HoudahGeo is an excellent option for anyone who needs photo geocoding.
From Houdah Software:
HoudahGeo lets you know where you took that photo. With HoudahGeo you may "pin" photos to locations where they were taken. Just like an expensive GPS camera, HoudahGeo may store latitude, longitude and altitude information right within the image file - invisibly with no loss of quality. HoudahGeo writes industry standard EXIF, XMP and IPTC tags. HoudahGeo also lets you to share your geotagged photos in Google Earth or publish them to Flickr, Locr or EveryTrail. One-stop geocoding for the Mac. HoudahGeo offers you many ways of geocoding your favorite photos. HoudahGeo connects directly to many brands and models of GPS track loggers. It also reads GPX and NMEA files created by third party software.
What's new in this version:
- HoudahGeo can load track logs from QR codes created by the gps4cam iPhone application
- HoudahGeo can now infer camera clock settings when given the exact time a photo was taken
- Camera clock setup in HoudahGeo is fully automatic when working with gps4cam QR codes
- Camera clock error can be specified by entering the time as currently displayed on the camera
- On first load, HoudahGeo centers the map on the current track log and photos
- Map boun... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows, part of iLife '11.
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Create web photo albums with slideshows of your images.
- Create, alter and manipulate photos.
- Split, combine, reorder PDFs; overlay/edit images/text in PDFs.
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Organize files you are working on, just downloaded, or want to ...
- Create flash & web galleries, geotag photos with GPS, make feat...
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- Control photoshop from automator.
- PDF, PostScript & image viewer.
- Image/movie viewing app for most formats.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Transfer track log & waypoint data from many different GPS trac...
- Image editor focusing on simplicity.
- Save GPS position data to a photo.
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps, OS 9 fix.
- Convert and view mac wmf images.
- Versatile file search tool based upon Apple's powerful Spotligh...
- Create, edit, and enhance images.
- Create multiple iPhoto libraries, copy photos, merge libraries,...
- Geotagging & geocaching app with a GPS track library.
All versions:4.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-6 of 6
"Superb utility for geotagging"
Version: HoudahGeo 2.8.5
Easy to use and reliable. Use it before importing in to iPhoto / Aperture.
I'm not convinced that the direct library access to iPhoto and Aperture is totally reliable. I also use HoudahGeo before importing to the library because of this.
Excellent software and developer has been very responsive to problems.
"Excellent and responsive developer."
Version: HoudahGeo 2.8
Excellent software for merging GPS track files with photographs. Developer very responsive to problems.
None that I can think of.
"It works - every time!"
Version: HoudahGeo 2.7.1
Works with my QStarz Travel Recorder 10... I have not found another way to transfer these tracks to my Mac
Will reverse geocode
Completely compatible with iPhoto and Aperture
Works with Google Earth, too
It is a little slow when geocoding a large batch of photo files
I have tried just about every other geocoding solution I can find and always come back to HoudaGeo. Before it could talk directly with Aperture HoudaGeo introduced a couple of extra steps into my workflow. Now, it is easy to fit into any workflow. If you have a geologger and want to embed geographic coordinates in your photo files, HoudaGeo is an accurate and elegant solution.
"Excellent - works with AMOD Phototracker"
Version: HoudahGeo 2.3.5
Easy to use and good interface
none I've encountered
Straightforward app that fits the Mac and is inexpensive - gets the phototracking job done very well.
"Easy Way to Geocode Photos"
Version: HoudahGeo 1.2.8
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
I don't have a GPS camera. I've found that HoudahGeo is the easiest way to geocode photos. I run them through GeoHoudah before uploading to Flickr. HoudahGeo uploads to Flickr, but I use iPhoto and prefer FlickrExport because it sends my descriptions, titles, and keywords from iPhoto.
"Great Software and Developer"
Version: HoudahGeo 1.1.6
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
i also tried other Software but HoudahGeo is better (Aperture, GPS Device Support ..), easy, nice.
Good, fast and uncomplicated support.