CNET Editors' review
HoudahGeo is an all-in-one app for geocoding and geotagging your photos, so you can keep track of where they were taken and upload them to sites like Google Earth and Flickr.
HoudahGeo provides a variety of ways to link your photos to geographic locations (using exportable EXIF, XMP, or IPTC tags), whether you're using a GPS track-logging device or you're entering locations manually, with coordinates, a built-in map, or Google Earth. You can even just take occasional, lower-quality reference photos (for example, with your iPhone 3G), and HoudahGeo will automatically geocode photos taken with your higher-res camera later based on the time frame. HoudahGeo supports most popular photo-library software, including iPhoto, Lightroom, and Aperture, and you can publish to EveryTrail.com. The most-recent updates have also added higher-quality maps and satellite images. (Although note that HoudahGeo now no longer supports Mac OS X 10.4.)
With its stability, broad set of features, quick and intuitive workflow, and extras like KML export, HoudahGeo is an excellent option for anyone who needs photo geocoding.
From Houdah Software:
HoudahGeo lets you know where you took that photo. With HoudahGeo you may "pin" photos to locations where they were taken. Just like an expensive GPS camera, HoudahGeo may store latitude, longitude and altitude information right within the image file - invisibly with no loss of quality. HoudahGeo writes industry standard EXIF, XMP and IPTC tags. HoudahGeo also lets you to share your geotagged photos in Google Earth or publish them to Flickr, Locr or EveryTrail. One-stop geocoding for the Mac. HoudahGeo offers you many ways of geocoding your favorite photos. HoudahGeo connects directly to many brands and models of GPS track loggers. It also reads GPX and NMEA files created by third party software.
What's new in this version:
- The media browser now shows GPS coordinates stored in iPhoto or Aperture libraries
- Improves performance of importing images from Aperture libraries
- Works around a system bug where file modification dates are updated after EXIF/XMP export
- The bookmarks menu now respects to sort order configured in the bookmarks window
- Bug fix: GPX waypoint export - The option for waypoint name was ignored
More Products to Consider
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows.
- Create, alter, and manipulate photos.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Organize files you are working on, just downloaded, or want to ...
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Easily find, download and use images from Flickr.
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Finds files, folders & contents without indexing.
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- NIC is the perfect tool for collecting images from Usenet newsg...
- WIC is the perfect tool for collecting images from one or more ...
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps.
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Convert your images to various formats.
- Track back your stolen Mac.
- View comic and manga images.
- Find, view and manage files with duplicate content regardless o...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures locally or online.
- Batch file renamer with droplets.
- Create flyers, newsletters, brochures.
- Create logos that look like a Photoshop guru spent hours labori...
- Search within the big database of the best German discussion bo...
All versions:4.9 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-7 of 7
"Does what it's supposed to... Perfectly."
Version: HoudahGeo 3.5
Really easy to use.
Great costumer support.
None so far.
"Superb utility for geotagging"
Version: HoudahGeo 2.8.5
Easy to use and reliable. Use it before importing in to iPhoto / Aperture.
I'm not convinced that the direct library access to iPhoto and Aperture is totally reliable. I also use HoudahGeo before importing to the library because of this.
Excellent software and developer has been very responsive to problems.
"Excellent and responsive developer."
Version: HoudahGeo 2.8
Excellent software for merging GPS track files with photographs. Developer very responsive to problems.
None that I can think of.
"It works - every time!"
Version: HoudahGeo 2.7.1
Works with my QStarz Travel Recorder 10... I have not found another way to transfer these tracks to my Mac
Will reverse geocode
Completely compatible with iPhoto and Aperture
Works with Google Earth, too
It is a little slow when geocoding a large batch of photo files
I have tried just about every other geocoding solution I can find and always come back to HoudaGeo. Before it could talk directly with Aperture HoudaGeo introduced a couple of extra steps into my workflow. Now, it is easy to fit into any workflow. If you have a geologger and want to embed geographic coordinates in your photo files, HoudaGeo is an accurate and elegant solution.
"Excellent - works with AMOD Phototracker"
Version: HoudahGeo 2.3.5
Easy to use and good interface
none I've encountered
Straightforward app that fits the Mac and is inexpensive - gets the phototracking job done very well.
"Easy Way to Geocode Photos"
Version: HoudahGeo 1.2.8
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
I don't have a GPS camera. I've found that HoudahGeo is the easiest way to geocode photos. I run them through GeoHoudah before uploading to Flickr. HoudahGeo uploads to Flickr, but I use iPhoto and prefer FlickrExport because it sends my descriptions, titles, and keywords from iPhoto.
"Great Software and Developer"
Version: HoudahGeo 1.1.6
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
i also tried other Software but HoudahGeo is better (Aperture, GPS Device Support ..), easy, nice.
Good, fast and uncomplicated support.