CNET Editors' review
Despite a couple of flaws that can be annoying, especially if you use Facebook or Gmail, AnchorFree's Hotspot Shield Elite is an otherwise good tool that does its job well. The shield's job is to protect your online privacy, especially when you're connecting to the Internet via wireless hot spots.
The installation isn't the usual drag-and-drop routine; you need to have admin rights to install it, but as soon as the application is on your computer, you'll notice the change. First of all, your browser can't connect to the Internet until you register the trial version using an e-mail address. Interestingly, the e-mail sent by AnchorFree ended up in the Junk Mailbox, which we found odd, since it's from a security company. What we liked, though, is the product's simple interface: it's a shield that is placed in the Menu bar when you launch the application. It communicates using colors: red is off and green is on. And it's that simple. Hotspot Shield excels in simplicity, and we love the the fact that the application is ad-free.
Unfortunately, the second thing we noticed was that we couldn't connect to our Facebook account. If you have recognized devices activated, the social network will block your account. In addition to that, our Mail application stopped fetching e-mails from our Gmail account. This is pretty annoying if you use Gmail for communication. Except the aforementioned flaws, however, Hotspot Shield performed well during our testing. The load time of the Web sites we visited was visibly faster, so the browsing experience was good (and safe), which is the primary role of the app. Although Hotspot Shield primarily aims to protect the online presence of those who connect to the Internet through hot spots, it can easily become the choice of privacy-conscious individuals as well.
We liked the feeling of a protected online presence, but if the shield works against you, then it isn't quite the tool you need. Also, users only have eight days of free protection, and they need to opt for one of the available offers if they want to have all their browsing information shielded from prying eyes.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Hotspot Shield Elite for Mac 1.585.Hotspot Shield - Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware threats, and access blocked content - Video Previews:
Hotspot Shield is the security product for Mac that detects and protects against 3.5 million malware threats including the Flash Trojan virus. It also makes your communications secure in public Wi-Fi hotspots which otherwise leave you vulnerable to hackers and security breaches. Hotspot Shield's VPN tunnel also gives you a simple solution to maintain your anonymity, hide your IP and protect your privacy.
What's new in this version: - performance improvements
- multiple bugfixes
- does not support 32-bit OS
More Products to Consider
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Our free Antivirus for Mac keeps you safe from all the latest M...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Secure your privacy and maintain your anonymity while surfing t...
- Encrypt & decrypt files of all types using any key code you wan...
- Personal emergency broadcast message system with twitter, sms, ...
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Encrypt Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, and the Cloud files.
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Save your files from indiscreet eyes.
- Secure, easy-to-use digital vault for your laptop that works wi...
- Record keystrokes, log visited websites, take screenshots and s...
- Protect your Mac from viruses and spyware.
- Protect your secret files.
- Simple, secure access to the global Internet you love.
- Change your network card's MAC address (Ethernet).
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Lock and unlock your Mac account by using your face and track y...
- Clean cache and clear history.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 73 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Slow and misleading"
Version: Hotspot Shield 3.15
You can access sites in the UK, Australia, US etc
I purchased a package, which was supposed to be valid until January. It was cancelled in October and I have no idea why as I paid upfront. Totally dishonest company, would not recommend, now I am bombarded with ads to renew. I pass.
"Good VPN to watch favorite tv show"
Version: Hotspot Shield 3.15
Hotspot shield works good for me here in japan. I use it to watch my watch american tv shows. Hotspot Shield also protect my computer from virus too.
no cons that i can think