CNET Editors' review
As one of the easiest VPNs to set up and use, Hotspot Shield Elite safeguards your online identity and information without any glitches. It's nice in a pinch, but it's not nearly as powerful when compared to some other premium options available. Its simplicity might win the day for you, though.
Though Hotspot Shield Elite lets you download and surf without a bandwidth cap, you are limited to seven days before you have to pay. There is a wholly free version, but it's riddled with ads. Once you've registered with Hotspot Shield, protecting your surfing only requires one click and no complicated setup. The program drops an icon into your browser's URL so you always know whether or not it's on. Though it encrypts your surfing, if you try to download a torrent it may throttle your connection. All other downloads will be encrypted, though. The download will use all of the speed of your current connection to load pages, download, and upload. There are no file-sharing capabilities that come with this VPN.
Storage and file-sharing are usually the bread and butter of a VPN. However, if you don't need these features, Hotspot Shield Elite is okay. It protects your privacy and does it with all of the speed you're used to.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Hotspot Shield Elite 2.90.
Hotspot Shield Elite VPN, Virtual Private Network, service adds a layer of "must have" protection when connecting your computer to the Internet by establishing a secure tunnel. The secure tunnel uses VPN technology to keep your online identity and information safe from hackers and snoopers. Hotspot Shield Elite allows you to browse the Internet anonymously. As you move around the Internet, your information cannot be tracked. Elite's service exchanges your IP address for an Elite IP address, keeping your information secure and private. Elite's VPN service provides access to Expats and Travelers' favorite sites when away from home. Plus, Elite users enjoy complete malware protection from over 3 million known and suspected web domains including Malware, Illegal or Phishing, Infected and Spam sites and Content Farms. Most trusted consumer VPN, used by more than 10 million users in over 50 countries; Only VPN that allows you to remain 100% anonymous; No username/password required to log into Elite service; Includes Complete Cloud Malware protection; Provides protections from more than 3 million known Malware sites; Dedicated Technical support team.
What's new in this version: Version 3.17 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Find the most secure and fastest proxy server.
- Make any Internet connection truly private with the original hi...
- Secure your browsing and save money on your phone bills.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Conceal your Real IP Address by using one of hundred available ...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Change IP address and user agent to surf Internet anonymously.
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Surf the Internet anonymously on your Windows PC.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect your data and IP on the Web.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Unblock sites and surf anonymously.
- Access blocked websites using a proxy server.
- Protect your privacy by blocking ads, hiding your IP address, a...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 33 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Keeping a paid subscription"
Version: Hotspot Shield Elite 3.17
Good VPN. Pretty good speed.
Hard to maintain paid subscription. Hard to renew. They need a different fee collector. It was so hard to renew my subscription that I just quit trying.
Re-installation to Elite status is hard as well.
Someone speculated they won't take PO Boxes in place of street addresses because the NSA wants an exact location. Wow.
Go with the free, if you can handle the ads. Good luck getting your money accepted for the Elite.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content