CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
As far as mobile mapping goes, Google Maps for Android offers one of the best experiences you can get. More than a simple piece of mapping software, this feature-fest offers turn-by-turn navigation, voice search, indoor mapping (select locations), public transportation information, Street View, and so much more.
When viewing a location, Google Maps lets you activate a variety of add-on layers offering information like traffic, terrain, transit lines, and more. There's even a Wikipedia layer that plots out entries related to your location. And if that's not enough, you can zoom all the way into Street View for areas that have coverage.
One of the most important aspects of Google Maps for Android is directions. With Google Maps, you can easily conduct a search for a destination with text or voice, and get directions for driving, public transit, walking, or even biking. Hit the big blue arrow icon to activate voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation. While traveling you can even fire up alternate routes if you happen to run into traffic.
But Google Maps is more than just, well, maps. The application offers other baked-in services like Offers for nearby deals, Local search powered by Google Places and Zagat, and Latitude for locating Google contacts on the map (with their permission, of course). These services in aggregate make for a complete mobile experience that is pretty hard to beat.
Lastly, Google Maps for Android now lets you cache maps for access while offline. This is hugely useful for travelers who frequently find themselves in areas outside of their home mobile networks. The feature lets you pinch and drag to determine the area you want to cache, and it tells you how much memory the saved file will cost you.
In short, Google Maps is a must-have application for anyone with a mobile device.
Get Google Maps with Navigation (Beta), Places, and Latitude*Navigation: Free, voice-guided GPS navigation system*Places: Find, rate, and get recommendations for places*Latitude: See friends on the map and check in at placesKeywords: Google Maps, Navigation, Places, Hotpot, Latitude, directionsRecent changes:* Indoor maps (beta) are now available for select airports, shopping malls, and more. Learn more at g.co/indoormaps* Menu added to the top toolbar for easy switching between common features. * Updated home screen for Places, now with popular searches based on your location. * Option to disable automatic screen dimming for Navigation.Content rating: Medium Maturity
What's new in this version: Save maps for use offline.
More Products to Consider
- With Street View on Google Maps, explore the world at street le...
- Explore the world from the palm of your hand with Google Earth.
- Mumbai Train timetable,Bus routes,Auto & Taxi fare on your mobi...
- Premium turn-by-turn GPS navigation app.
- Instantly translate over 50 languages.
- Track the location of your mobile and phone and local networtk ...
- Display your GPS and sensor data on your Android device.
- This application is an OBDII ECU diagnostics tool that uses a b...
- FREE on-board maps & directions.
- Get the yellow car out of the traffic jam.
- Get to know your car with the premier OBDII diagnostic software...
- Track whereabouts of your family members without alerting them.
- Create, share, and keep all your stuff in one place.
- Push emails, sync conversations, integrate contacts, search, an...
- Safely share your location in real-time via email, SMS, Faceboo...
- Buy and sell with people around your local community marketplac...
- This application is for booking your train tickets in Indian Ra...
- Instantly supersize faces on your Android device.
- This app goes blip-blip by pressing the virtual car lock key. I...
- Calculate complex equations with this scientific calculator for...
- Avoid mobile radiation in real-time with tawkon. tawkon monitor...
- Help you to find the best flight on your Android device.
- Need an address book to store commonly used Google Maps locatio...
- Zombie Dash combines the timeless appeal of arcade games with s...
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Great app! but ..."
Version: Google Maps 5.11
Does not allow real-time updates.. I found additional app, called Latitude Update, that performs real-time updates to Google Latitude .
No real time updates.
Ops no real times update .. . I found additional app, called Latitude Update, that performs real-time updates to Google Latitude
"Navigation difficult at best in UK"
Version: Google Maps 5.0
Good map navigation, routes are accurate and clear
The speech for UK is almost unintelligible. It messes up road designations and pronunciation of place names is wrong. It is also too slow, telling you which exit on a roundabout 200yds after you have left it (map shows accurate position)
There is an issue for UK users with the way it pronounces road designations as it is confusing and can make it hard to follow if you are driving on your own, eg, going to Leicester it said take the A to 45Leicester instead of take the A45. It also uses street names instead of designation, eg Leicester road instead of A45.
"Good, but still lacks features. Preloaded maps, via..."
Version: Google Maps 4.2
Simplicity, good map coverage, satellite view, googles resources...
No preloaded maps!
I love almost everything about Google maps, but I cant make it my primary navigation software because I cant preload maps. I dont know why this feature is still missing since it is on of the key features all of us need when we travel. I simply dont understand how it can be used. Am I supposed to use my GSM data to load them even when roaming!?
And another thing is it sometimes takes me over some very strange routes, which I cant change and it turn useless. Cant put fastest time, or shortest, avoid this and that...
Version: Google Maps 4.0
Easy, visually nice, and lots more
none so far
just disable the standard messaging app from sending you notifications. it's clean and it runs nice. a must-have for all android users!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content