CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
If you haven't noticed, Google Docs for Android has just morphed into Google Drive. Or perhaps more accurately, it has been sucked up by the brand-new file-syncing and file-sharing app. This means that not only does it give you access to all of your old Docs, it also lets you access and store any kind of file in your cloud-enabled Google Drive account.
Similar to the experience on the Web, Google Drive for Android opens up to a main navigation panel, from which you can see a list of all your files (My Drive), files that have been shared with you, starred files, recently modified files, or offline files. There's also a button at the top of the screen that lets you create new documents or spreadsheets, or upload a file to be stored on your Drive.
Next to each item in your list, there's a tiny arrow icon that brings up options like Share, Rename, Delete, and Send. This should feel familiar to anyone who previously used the Google Docs app. There's also an option to make files available offline, which is a godsend when traveling to areas with questionable data coverage.
Just as it was in Google Docs, file editing with the Google Drive app is pretty basic. The Documents editor offers a few alignment options, lists, bold, italic, and underline, as well as a rudimentary color tool. The Spreadsheets editor isn't any better, though, as it offers a slightly clunky interface for editing cells. Meanwhile, you can't edit presentations or drawings through the mobile app, which isn't much of a loss, since these types of documents are typically better handled with a mouse and full-size monitor.
On top of all the old Google Docs functionality, Google Drive is really just a simple file storage platform. Like Dropbox, it automatically syncs with the cloud, so that everything is consistent across all of your devices. Also, it lets you share (add collaborators to) any kind of file, including music, images, and videos. Altogether, it is a fantastic option for storing, syncing, sharing, and collaborating.
But as great as as the new Google Docs, er, Google Drive app is, it is still missing a few key features. For one, it's impossible to move files around within your drive from the app. You can't transfer files between collections (folders) or even create new collections. This means that all of your housekeeping will need to be done from a desktop.
Also, Google Drive doesn't let you share files with download links. This is something that Dropbox does exceptionally well. It would be nice to be able to create a download link for any file in my drive, and send it to friends who don't use Google Drive.
Finally, and this may be nitpicky, I wish the app would let you sort files by type. With so many different types supported, it would make life a lot easier for power users who store massive numbers of files in the cloud.
Regardless of its shortcomings, I still highly recommend downloading the Google Drive app for Android. It nicely integrates all of the Docs functionality, plus it gives you the extra power to access and share other types of files.
Google Drive is available now for free on Google Play. But before downloading, make sure you've enabled Drive on your Google account.
With Google Drive, you can store all your files in one place, so you can access them from anywhere and share them with others. You can store access your photos, documents, and videos. Features include upload files to Google Drive directly from your Android device, share any file with your contacts, access files others have shared with you on Google Drive, make any file available offline so you can access them even when you don't have an Internet connection, manage files on the go, create and edit Google documents with support for tables, comments, and rich text formatting, edits to your Google documents appear to collaborators in seconds, view Google presentations with full animations and speaker notes, make quick changes to spreadsheets, view your PDFs and office documents, upload and convert files to the Google Docs format, take a photo of printed text and convert it to a Google document, print files stored in Google Drive on the go using Google Cloud Print, and open files stored in Google Drive through Drive enabled apps in the browser.
More Products to Consider
- Access to rapid and free Internet is always and everywhere.WOW,...
- Wifi password breaker will tell you which Wifi are easy to brea...
- Boost your wifi in single click.
- Mac2WepKey HHG5XX is an application for penetration testers to ...
- Access your Dropbox.com files from your Android smartphone.
- Wifi Free gives you information about all nearby WiFi spots - b...
- Make Android tablet more useful and productive with powerful MS...
- Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!!.
- Speed up your internet speed with a single click.
- Do you have a dog? Use Dog Whistle PRO to train your pet!.
- Power On Volume (Button Fix) is an app designed for phones and ...
- The ultimate router password recovery tool.
- Clean everything in Android. No.1 cleaner app that can play the...
- Install apps from your SD card on Android 2.0+ phones.
- Android version of the popular CPU identification tool for PC/W...
- Volume Booster will make your phone sound and overall volume st...
- Find the default WPA password of wireless Thomson routers.in ju...
- PokCreator lets you create custom Pokmon and send them directly...
- Formerly a top rated app for downloading files stored on your G...
- An Evangelion style clock and system monitor. The EVA System Mo...
- Provide one-stop solution for mobile security and performance.
- Google DocsGoogle DocsSDhttp://www.jisuidroid.com/=============...
- This application is compatible for 2G and 3G mobile data networ...
- Need an address book to store commonly used Google Maps locatio...
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Google Drive 126.96.36.199
I have played with it a bit and it seems to work well for me. You can create links to the files to send to others to click on and download the file.
No download counter. This is a must-have for me. I will be purchasing a pro account from the first one that includes a download monitor, Google Drive, or Skydrive.
Works great, but missing necessary components.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content