CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Google Drive offers quick storage and a really attractive layout. However, it's not worth getting too excited over as it just doesn't offer any landmark features if you're not already tethered to Google's ecosystem. If you just want some extra cloud storage, it's a no-brainer. However, if you're looking for one place to keep your data, this one might not be for you.
This app gives you 5GB of cloud storage to hold your files. If you want more, then you have to pay up; there's no way to unlock more by sharing or doing certain tasks a la Dropbox. Google Drive syncs in plenty of cool ways with Gmail, Calendar, and other Google apps you probably use every day. However, it only works as a file viewer and uploader. You can't make edits to any of your documents from inside the app. It will display your files as PDFs if you need to read them, though. The only thing you can actually do with your documents other than read them is pin them so you can use them offline. That's helpful if you're in a place where Internet is spotty.
The app rests most of its strengths on the service, itself. That means this app is the one you need if you already use Google's cloud to store your files. However, if you're looking for a great cloud storage app, Google Drive app doesn't have enough going for it to wow you. Still, 5GB of storage is nice to have, even if you already use another cloud storage service.
With Google Drive, you can store all your files in one place, so you can access them from anywhere and share them with others. You can store access your photos, documents, and videos. Features include upload files to Google Drive directly from your Android device, share any file with your contacts, access files others have shared with you on Google Drive, make any file available offline so you can access them even when you don't have an Internet connection, manage files on the go, create and edit Google documents with support for tables, comments, and rich text formatting, edits to your Google documents appear to collaborators in seconds, view Google presentations with full animations and speaker notes, make quick changes to spreadsheets, view your PDFs and office documents, upload and convert files to the Google Docs format, take a photo of printed text and convert it to a Google document, print files stored in Google Drive on the go using Google Cloud Print, and open files stored in Google Drive through Drive enabled apps in the browser.
More Products to Consider
- Clean cache, unused files, privacy history and app packages on ...
- Protect your mobile device with both anti-theft and antivirus.
- Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!!.
- Explore phones and PCs over net.
- Provide one-stop solution for mobile security and performance.
- Backup all your apps, market links, and remove bloatware from y...
- Download the latest release of Google Maps, and never carry a p...
- Wifi Free gives you information about all nearby WiFi spots - b...
- Access your Dropbox.com files from your Android smartphone.
- View user uploaded video content on your Android.
- Kill unnecessary apps and running tasks.
- Push emails, sync conversations, integrate contacts, search, an...
- Get a free file hosting and cloud sync solution for your Androi...
- Path is the Smart Journal that helps you share life with the on...
- Install apps from your SD card on Android 2.0+ phones.
- Get an insight into data recovery and disaster preventing.
- Instantly translate over 50 languages.
- Instantly supersize faces on your Android device.
- Calculate complex equations with this scientific calculator for...
- Avoid mobile radiation in real-time with tawkon. tawkon monitor...
- Turns your Android device into a WiFi or Bluetooth universal re...
- Bring Window 8 Taskbar to your Android.
- Get the yellow car out of the traffic jam.
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Great improvements made - still not idiot-proof"
Version: Google Drive 184.108.40.206
You can make documents readable offline, download them for editing or view them. I use my drive to transfer e-books from my PC to my tablet; it's incredibly fast and does show its progress.
I LIKE the fact that I can't edit documents in Drive, I have to open it in an editing program, such as Olive Office. That way I don't accidentally delete important info.
The free storage space has been increased - to 10 GB with an extra temporary 5 GB for 2 years. 100 GB is currently priced at only $4.99 USD at the moment.
The display is very basic and looks a lot like a computer file window - although this isn't really a con, but it could be prettier.
Drive does what it's supposed to do: store documents in a cloud so they can be accessed from multiple devices. It plays well with other apps and is free or very inexpensive.
Version: Google Drive 220.127.116.11
I have played with it a bit and it seems to work well for me. You can create links to the files to send to others to click on and download the file.
No download counter. This is a must-have for me. I will be purchasing a pro account from the first one that includes a download monitor, Google Drive, or Skydrive.
Works great, but missing necessary components.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content