CNET Editors' review
Chrome's installation process is both straightforward and self-sustaining. The installer will launch confirmations of system directories with a few click-throughs. Typical stuff. Google will also ask for your permission to anonymously collect usage stats, which you can opt out of. Once you install the Chrome browser, Google automatically rolls out silent upgrades and keeps your browser up to date.
Chrome's overall UI has remained stable since version 1.0: a minimal two row window with tabs resting above the address bar (Omnibox), 3 browser controls (Back, Forward, Stop/Reload), a star-shaped toggle for bookmarking, and settings icon.
As you install extensions, active icons will appear to the right of the address bar, but beyond that Google maintains strict restrictions on adding visible add-ons. That means no toolbars or any undesired overlays, which used to be standard practice. Chrome is minimal for a reason: to maintain a clean browsing experience with maximum use of screen estate for Web sites. A new, Immersive mode hides UI elements to create a fullscreen experience that removes many distracting elements.
In addition to tabbed browsing, Chrome has an impressive number of built-in tools, modes, hot key functions, and more.
One popular feature is, of course, Incognito mode: Chrome's response to Mozilla's Private Browsing feature. Incognito opens a new window that disables history recording and tracking cookies, and reduces the amount of traceable breadcrumbs from your usage. Contrary to popular belief, it does not mean you can freely browse the Web for illegal use as your ISP can still see your traffic activity...so stay out of trouble!
Chrome now also offers the ability to reset your browser to its default settings, removing any installed apps or extensions.
Pressing "F12" will open a dev. console that allows you to view Web code and quickly identify elements just by highlighting the mouse over each line. You can also add your own HTML and CSS codes to render a page with custom styling.
Chrome also allows Google users to sync their accounts, which comes with added benefits like restoring saved bookmarks and extensions in the cloud no matter what device you're on. When you're synced, an app shelf will appear across many Google services to give you quicker access between each of them.
Google has relentlessly set the standard for speed, stability, and security, and Chrome's numerous version updates, as many as there are, have continued to complement its minimalist design. It's no surprise that its market share continues to rise, especially when combined with its mobile cousin on Android. Regardless of which is faster, Google's Internet browser is one for the masses: casual user and developer, alike.More than just speed in Chrome:
Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the Web faster, safer, and easier. Use one box for everything--type in the address bar and get suggestions for both search and Web pages. Thumbnails of your top sites let you access your favorite pages instantly with lightning speed from any new tab. Desktop shortcuts allow you to launch your favorite Web apps straight from your desktop.
What's new in this version: This update includes 15 security fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Surf the Web with an immersive browser for Windows 7 and Vista.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Surf the Web with the latest Microsoft browser for Windows XP o...
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Surf the Web in privacy without an installation hassle.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Explore the Web with the beta channel version of Google's speed...
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Navigate the Internet using browser with powerful search, shari...
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 3,039 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Good browser but not the best"
Version: Google Chrome 31.0.1650.63
Fast boot up, easy to use, integrated with other Google programs
Not nearly as fast as MSIE of Firefox, no menu bar, does not work on all web pages
Good browser for some but lacks speed and design qualities that are useful in MSIE and even Firefox, After using it and then Firefox for about a month I gave up and went back to MSIE.