CNET Editors' review
Placing images on your desktop should be easy, but you often end up with blank space or stretched-out images. GoodBackgrounds for Mac allows you to easily change the desktop background on your Mac without distorted images.
GoodBackgrounds for Mac is a free and easy program that you can use to quickly change your desktop image. The program allows you to drag and drop the desired image either into the open program interface or over the dock icon. The image is applied to the center of the desktop immediately. A frame for the image is created using an enlarged blurred version of the same picture. The only allowed modification is a single preset upscale for the centered photo. This upscale stretches the photo to cover the height of the screen and then proportionately adjusts the width. Only TIFF, JPEG, and screenshot file types can be used for the photos. If you choose an unavailable file type, the program will just reject it. The single preference setting allows you to block the program name from being inserted onto the image on your desktop. The interface is basic and includes no help file.
GoodBackgrounds for Mac is a very basic way to quickly alter desktop backgrounds using images of certain types. This simple program is most suited for basic personal use and is appropriate for frequent changes.
From Christoph Vogelbusch:
Our photos have typically a different size than our Mac Screen. Until GoodBackgrounds, you either had to crop your photo to fit your screen or add a plain frame color ... That was never pretty. GoodBackgrounds uses the desktop technology from GoodTimes and renders a beautiful environment that exactly fit's your screen.
- 1-Step and you're done
- Extend always matches photo colors
- Works with multiple screens (simply drag the window to the screen)
- Supports real-time resolution switching
- Support for all screen ratios including rotated screens
- Optional photo upscaling or centering
- Fully CoreImage based
More Products to Consider
- View a near-real-time high-resolution image of Earth on your de...
- Screensaver runs QuickTime & Flash movies.
- Realistic 3D fish swim around your desktop.
- An uplifting screensaver to put you in a good mood.
- Like Berkeley's old After Dark.
- Add a clock screensaver with real-time minutes dropped into wat...
- Watch the Matrix code in 3D.
- Display your screensaver as your desktop background.
- Create screen savers for the Macintosh easily.
- Large collection of classic screensavers.
- Travel through a tunnel on your desktop with configurable color...
- Turn your OS X desktop into a realistic-looking 3D aquarium.
- Run a screensaver as a desktop picture.
- Screensaver that draws fractal images.
- Put an abstract picture on your desktop.
- Detect which music is playing and displays cover art and detail...
- Displays black screen with transparency.
- Update your desktop background image every day with beautiful i...
- Customize energy saver settings for individual apps.
- Convert your images to various formats.
- Dive into the ocean on your desktop.
- Watch the Matrix code on your screen.
- Convert image and photo files between different formats, add wa...
- Realistic 3D marine fish aquarium screen saver.