CNET Editors' review
Pop-up advertising impacts most users' Web browsing experience. GlimmerBlocker for Mac blocks most advertisements adequately, all while stopping the need for reinstallation after browser updates.
Download of GlimmerBlocker for Mac completed quickly and the program installed as a separate application modified from the main computer preferences menu. Unlike other third-party ad blocking applications, this program is outside of the Web browser, itself, which prevents it from being deleted or modified when the browser updates. The application has no menu of its own during operations and works in the background to prevent animated ads from playing. Support for product updates is available and the application automatically checks for them at certain time intervals. The program's settings menu has a number of useful options, which allow the user to view blocking reports, add additional filtering, and track suspected Web pages. During our tests while web browsing, the program appeared to block relevant ads, and the history forms showed the different Web services that were blocked. While the program worked well, some of the advanced features would have been more useful with user instructions included.
For those who need a pop-up ad blocker that works outside a Web browser, GlimmerBlocker for Mac performs well, although average Mac users may not be able to take advantage of its advanced features.
From Vitality ApS:
What's new in this version: Bug fixes and better compatibility Workaround for invalid http response headers sent from some of the Akamai servers which Apple uses for their site. This made the Apple site hang for some requests. Reported by Daniel Greve Rose et.al. Opening the System Preferences Panel is now faster when you have filters with a huge number of rules. Accept "200 OK" in addition to "204 No content" and "201 Created" when publishing an filter using WebDav. Reported by Cornelius Wilkening. Does't add the keyword ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Explore the web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Download a new, fast browser.
- Connect with friends, preview search results, and get website u...
- Alternative Web browser with server-side compression for slow c...
- Beta channel of Google's web browser.
- Browse the web comfortably.
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Retrieve an image, video, sound or style sheet from your Safari...
- Web browser.
- Block annoying pop-up and pop-under windows.
- Search visually in all of your favorite search engines.
- Check out the latest beta of the next Firefox update.
- Combine powerful browsing with media downloading and sharing.
- Access Facebook without a web browser.
- Kill Flash in Safari with one click.
- Watch 3D African animals interact and roam across your screen.
- Rich media content plugin for the web.
- Web browser allows you to browse multiple pages simultaneously ...
- Browse the web via fast proxy server.
- Create a whitelist of your favorite cookies & more.
- Display Google PageRank for current page.
- Web browser with Mozilla's rendering engine.
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: GlimmerBlocker 1.4.7
block unnecessary advertisemts
let alone necessary advertisements
less cpu involved
less bandwidth involved
installation on the preferences panel
let a white space where advertisement were supposed to be
you got to have this