CNET Editors' review
Pop-up advertising impacts most users' Web browsing experience. GlimmerBlocker for Mac blocks most advertisements adequately, all while stopping the need for reinstallation after browser updates.
Download of GlimmerBlocker for Mac completed quickly and the program installed as a separate application modified from the main computer preferences menu. Unlike other third-party ad blocking applications, this program is outside of the Web browser, itself, which prevents it from being deleted or modified when the browser updates. The application has no menu of its own during operations and works in the background to prevent animated ads from playing. Support for product updates is available and the application automatically checks for them at certain time intervals. The program's settings menu has a number of useful options, which allow the user to view blocking reports, add additional filtering, and track suspected Web pages. During our tests while web browsing, the program appeared to block relevant ads, and the history forms showed the different Web services that were blocked. While the program worked well, some of the advanced features would have been more useful with user instructions included.
For those who need a pop-up ad blocker that works outside a Web browser, GlimmerBlocker for Mac performs well, although average Mac users may not be able to take advantage of its advanced features.
From Vitality ApS:
What's new in this version: Bug fixes and better compatibility Workaround for invalid http response headers sent from some of the Akamai servers which Apple uses for their site. This made the Apple site hang for some requests. Reported by Daniel Greve Rose et.al. Opening the System Preferences Panel is now faster when you have filters with a huge number of rules. Accept "200 OK" in addition to "204 No content" and "201 Created" when publishing an filter using WebDav. Reported by Cornelius Wilkening. Does't add the keyword ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Explore the web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Alternative Web browser with server-side compression for slow c...
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Connect with friends, preview search results, and get website u...
- Download a new, fast browser.
- Check out the latest beta of the next Firefox update.
- Block ad elements in Safari.
- Beta channel of Google's web browser.
- Combine powerful browsing with media downloading and sharing.
- Browse the web comfortably.
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Manage regular URL bookmarks and links to files and folders in ...
- Web browser.
- Browser plugin to view rich multimedia web content.
- Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML.
- Rich media content plugin for the web.
- Safari extension that creates a second, highly customizable boo...
- Web browser with Mozilla's rendering engine.
- Access Facebook without a web browser.
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout.
- Full-featured read later and RSS client that supports services ...
- Finds coupons for online shoppers during checkout automatically...
- Browse the web quickly and easily.
- Get the most out of social networking and the Web in this brows...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 15 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: GlimmerBlocker 1.4.7
Does a good job of blocking stuff you don't want to see. Has lots of extra features and enhancements - many of which a lot of users may never want - thus they now have a "lite" version for those who don't want the extra stuff.
This latest version (October 2013) has a new "feature" that is turned on by default when installed - the developer serves up their own ads! No warning about this behavior until you start visiting pages and get pop-over ads that you cannot figure where they come from.
In Safari Preferences, Glims tab, Ads/Shopping - they have three settings available...
I like this product, but am not thrilled with the no-warning inclusion of their own ads. Otherwise, seems to still be a solid product.
Version: GlimmerBlocker 1.4.7
block unnecessary advertisemts
let alone necessary advertisements
less cpu involved
less bandwidth involved
installation on the preferences panel
let a white space where advertisement were supposed to be
you got to have this