CNET Editors' review
GenSmarts allows users to import family trees from popular ancestry research programs and then analyzes the data to give users further research ideas. Although many of the suggestions may be things that users have already tried, the program has the potential to provide clues in their research that they hadn't already considered.
The program's interface is not entirely intuitive, but it opens with a welcome wizard and has a comprehensive built-in Help file, as well as links to online tutorials demonstrating the program's features. We decided to try the program with a family tree that we had previously created using Ancestry.com. The file was easy to import, and GenSmarts immediately went to work analyzing our data and making suggestions. GenSmarts hypothesizes missing information based on what's already known. For example, the program estimated the marriage date of one family member based on the birth date of the family member and his spouse. Obviously, this is not going to provide exact results, but it does give users something to go on if they're otherwise stumped. The program then provides suggestions for records that may be of use, such as census, marriage, and death records.
Although the program functioned well, it didn't provide us with anything we hadn't already investigated on Ancestry.com. Still, family tree research can be frustrating, and any potential tool is worth a try. GenSmarts has a 30-day trial and also limitations on search results and printing. It installs easily but leaves a folder behind upon removal. We recommend this program to anyone who's looking for additional leads while doing genealogy research.
From Underwood Innovations:
GenSmarts uses artificial intelligence to analyze your existing genealogy file and produce research recommendations. It helps you generate and track to do lists, print worksheets to record your search results, and plan research trips to libraries, court houses, etc. For online research sites, GenSmarts produces links that already have your ancestors name and specifics embedded - making it much easier to perform online record lookups.
What's new in this version: Version 220.127.116.11 includes support for FTM 2009 as well as RootsMagic 4.
More Products to Consider
- Print at home or at your office passport photo and ID photo.
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Find out interesting information about your birth date.
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Categorize and keep track of your movie collection.
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Disable private browsing option in any Web browser.
- Access great cheatsaves for your PS3.
- Create, share, and print id and passport photos.
- Local conditions, severe-weather alerts, radar, and forecasts o...
- Find lost space on your disk, the easy way.
- Analyze your birthday number to get an in-depth view at your ow...
- Create boardroom-quality org charts and publish to Microsoft Of...
- Determine and interpret your Mayan astrology sign and day numbe...
- Print checks from blank check stock and create pre-printed pers...
- Design and print your own garden plan.
- Add text and control Iranian calendar date.
- Use a word processor specially designed for authors, screenwrit...