CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the product page in the online Android Market. The application can directly be downloaded and installed on the registered Android device from your PC, or you can download it from the Android Market on your Android device.
CNET Editors' review
Even if you never use the free Fring app for making VoIP or two-ways calls using Skype or SIP services, it's still a more-than-decent program for chatting with friends on multiple IM networks.
Fring helpfully pulls in contacts from your address book so you can choose to chat, call, or place a video call--the latter depending how fast your phone's processor is and if your chat service will support video calling. You'll be able to IM on GoogleTalk, ICQ, Yahoo, Windows Live Messenger (MSN), and AIM, and you can view Twitter messages as well. Unlike Fring on other mobile platforms, this app does not support photo- and file-sharing.
We noticed some sluggishness at times; the lack of emoticons will detract from the experience for some. Video calls were also of inconsistent quality during our tests, though the new functionality does make Fring a more-compelling app than standalone mobile software like Skype mobile, which at the time of review did not support video calls on Android phones. If your phone lacks a front-facing camera, your contacts will have to either look at the nearby scenery through the camera's viewfinder, or you'll have to turn the phone around so they can see you, but you won't be able to see them.
Also missing is a quick, intuitive way to sign on and off chat services in Fring, and a setting to disable Fring from running in the background without logging off. However, Fring's added boost of talking with friends internationally via VoIP over the data connection or Wi-Fi will make up for some flaws.
Fring for Android is your free mobile communication service that lets you make free calls, live chat and video calls, directly on your mobile phone, via your favorite Internet communities: Skype, Google Talk, MSN Messenger (Windows Live Messenger), Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, AIM, ICQ, and SIP.
What's new in this version: Version 188.8.131.52 has improved quality on an array of new devices and added bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Make free Skype-to-Skype video calls, and call phones at Skype ...
- Chat over VoIP or via instant messaging, share images and video...
- Call and text anyone, anywhere.
- Nimbuzz is everything you need to communicate for free.
- Puffin Web Browser is the fastest web browser on the Android pl...
- Get WhatsApp Messenger and say goodbye to SMS!.
- Provide Internet access to your laptop through your Android pho...
- Kik Messenger.
- Tether your computer through the Android phone's data connectio...
- Enjoy the most accurate name and phone number lookup service wi...
- Engage and exploit the Web with a clever Android browser.
- Exchange free SMS with other SMS Anywhere users or any GSM netw...
- Turn on Portable Wi-Fi hotspotImprove your mobile computing exp...
- Make new friends, send free voice, video and photo messages.
- Connect your android to Internet using PC side network connecti...
- Belly Dancing Leyla Style - Belly Dance Videos, DVDS, Online Cl...
- Make video calls, voice calls, and live chat on your Symbian ^3...
- Capture time-lapse and slow motion videos automatically.
- Bring back the joy of owning phone.
- Talk and live chat using Skype, Google Talk, ICQ, MSN, SIP over...
- Hang up calls from unknown and block the target number from you...
- Turn your Android phone into a vehicle black box.
- Upload your files to Amazon S3 bucket via Android device.
- Send & Receive SMS Text Messages from your computer. Sync'd wit...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Easy and reliable"
Version: Fring for Android 184.108.40.206
Clear voice calls
Use abroad; no excessive carrier charges!
Compatible with all android phones? Not sure.
Had to enter phone numbers manually; perhaps I needed to set up differently to use my contacts.
If you're going to travel outside the USA with an android phone and will have internet access, this is a MUST. No need to root. A great alternative to Skype.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content