CNET Editors' review
You've almost certainly seen mind maps, which depict ideas, words, tasks, projects, and other elements as graphical symbols arrayed around a central idea. They're nothing new; the Ancient Greeks knew of them, and today mind maps are used in business, industry, government, academia, the military, and other planning-dependent fields. Freeplane is a free, Java-based tool for creating mind maps. As with many open-source projects, Freeplane is available in a wide range of interface languages.
The first thing we noticed about Freeplane's efficiently configured layout was a toolbar containing a row of quick-access Function keys, beginning with F1, the User's Manual. We clicked this right away because the second thing we noticed about the interface was that it's a bit busy, though well laid out, and that most of the controls are unfamiliar. The manual opened with a mind map describing Freeplane's main concepts and functions, but it was also a bit overwhelming for a newcomer. However, we quickly realized that nodes are the key to Freeplane's functionality: creating, deleting, and editing them; adding links, attributes, files, and connectors; and related functions. In fact, it took mere moments to realize the logic and efficiency of the mind map concept and Freeplane's layout, once we'd taken it all in. Freeplane's tools menu contains icons that clearly depict actions like adding nodes.
We won't pretend that it doesn't take some practice to master this program's features and concepts; for instance, Ancestors, Descendants, and Children aren't people in mind maps! But Freeplane takes a powerful concept and makes it about as easy to use as can be, and without sacrificing features or flexibility. For some users, Freeplane serves as an alternative to tabbed notebooks or PIMs. We can see how that would work, arraying various tasks and associated ideas around an assignment, for instance. If you use mind maps, though, Freeplane is essential.
From Dimitry Polivaev:
Freeplane is free software for building mind maps. It is a redesigned version of the well known FreeMind, and is created by one of FreeMind's key developers. The software is written in Java, and supports any platform capable of running current versions of Java, including: * Microsoft Windows * Mac OS X * Linux / BSD / Solaris * Portable Freeplane for Windows (runs from a USB drive). Freeplane is available in several different languages. The currently available translations are: Croatian, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and some other languages. Freeplane is a non-commercial project which survives and is made possible due to the participation of many people around the world. Freeplane is distributed under GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or later.
What's new in this version: Version 1.2.23 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create stunning mind maps, brainstorms, and flow diagrams.
- Collect and illustrate your ideas, thoughts, and tasks to enhan...
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Organize your thoughts, organize your mind.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Find out how millions of users worldwide have revolutionized th...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create a map of your plans, notes, meetings, speeches, and outl...
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Work with an easy interface using this special time calculator.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 8 votes
Current version:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Freeplane is Good! (NOT Malware)"
Version: Freeplane 1.2.23
Lots of space to create the MM's. Several Icons to use to indicate what each segment/node is and represents. Compatible with Win 8 & 8.1. It is much simpler to use than the leading software.
Takes a bit of time to get used to.
Please ignore the other reviewers - it's standard for CNet to make 'offers' when downloading software (that's how they try to make their money) and all you need to do is 'Decline' or choose Custom/Advanced installation to not get these offers.
IT IS NOT FREEPLANES MAKING.
I do not work for them, it's just a great MM software and the other reviews do not does it justice or is fair to FreePlane. It is very good.
"app grt, but cnet d'load has malware attached"
Version: Freeplane 1.2.23
problem with cnet download
"Came with at least 3 pieces of malware"
Version: Freeplane 1.2.23
not sure - had to clean and uninstall malware
cnet, please fix
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content