CNET Editors' review
You've almost certainly seen mind maps, which depict ideas, words, tasks, projects, and other elements as graphical symbols arrayed around a central idea. They're nothing new; the Ancient Greeks knew of them, and today mind maps are used in business, industry, government, academia, the military, and other planning-dependent fields. Freeplane is a free, Java-based tool for creating mind maps. As with many open-source projects, Freeplane is available in a wide range of interface languages.
The first thing we noticed about Freeplane's efficiently configured layout was a toolbar containing a row of quick-access Function keys, beginning with F1, the User's Manual. We clicked this right away because the second thing we noticed about the interface was that it's a bit busy, though well laid out, and that most of the controls are unfamiliar. The manual opened with a mind map describing Freeplane's main concepts and functions, but it was also a bit overwhelming for a newcomer. However, we quickly realized that nodes are the key to Freeplane's functionality: creating, deleting, and editing them; adding links, attributes, files, and connectors; and related functions. In fact, it took mere moments to realize the logic and efficiency of the mind map concept and Freeplane's layout, once we'd taken it all in. Freeplane's tools menu contains icons that clearly depict actions like adding nodes.
We won't pretend that it doesn't take some practice to master this program's features and concepts; for instance, Ancestors, Descendants, and Children aren't people in mind maps! But Freeplane takes a powerful concept and makes it about as easy to use as can be, and without sacrificing features or flexibility. For some users, Freeplane serves as an alternative to tabbed notebooks or PIMs. We can see how that would work, arraying various tasks and associated ideas around an assignment, for instance. If you use mind maps, though, Freeplane is essential.
From Dimitry Polivaev:
Freeplane is free software for building mind maps. It is a redesigned version of the well known FreeMind, and is created by one of FreeMind's key developers. The software is written in Java, and supports any platform capable of running current versions of Java, including: * Microsoft Windows * Mac OS X * Linux / BSD / Solaris * Portable Freeplane for Windows (runs from a USB drive). Freeplane is available in several different languages. The currently available translations are: Croatian, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and some other languages. Freeplane is a non-commercial project which survives and is made possible due to the participation of many people around the world. Freeplane is distributed under GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or later.
What's new in this version: Version 1.2.23 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Organize your thoughts, organize your mind.
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Collect and illustrate your ideas, thoughts, and tasks to enhan...
- Create stunning mind maps, brainstorms, and flow diagrams.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Find out how millions of users worldwide have revolutionized th...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- Share your screen with another user quickly and easily.
- Manage and edit your information.
- Work with an easy interface using this special time calculator.
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"app grt, but cnet d'load has malware attached"
Version: Freeplane 1.2.23
problem with cnet download
"Came with at least 3 pieces of malware"
Version: Freeplane 1.2.23
not sure - had to clean and uninstall malware
cnet, please fix
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content