CNET Editors' review
FreeMemory for Mac is a utility to free up unneeded memory in your Mac OS X device. It is available for free from the App Store and download sites. It installs easily.
The goal of FreeMemory for Mac is to mark blocks of memory that were used by terminated applications as free, allowing them to be used by other applications. When run, FreeMemory for Mac checks what memory is allocated and whether it is associated with a running app. If not, then it is freed up, allowing for other apps to run. Activated by clicking on the menu bar icon, FreeMemory for Mac takes just a few seconds to run and can show you the results in a graph. You can set FreeMemory for Mac to run automatically, or just run it when you think your system is performing under standard.
We used FreeMemory for Mac on a MacBook that ran games and virtual machines. We were always running into memory issues after these apps terminated, but FreeMemory for Mac quickly released the blocked memory. The reports afterward show we could gain almost a gigabyte in some cases. Simple to use and with the autorun setup almost out of mind, FreeMemory for Mac is a handy free utility.
From Rocky Sand Studio:
FreeMemory can increase your free memory with a simple click. It always monitors your memory usage in your menubar. If you're using Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, you can upgrade FreeMemory by adding FreeMemory Extras. It will improve the app with customizable menubar, 3D pie chart and more useful features.
What's new in this version: - important bugfix for 32-bit mode crash
- fix for 3D piechart labels
- several minor bugfix
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Detect and download updates for all of your installed software.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Manage .DS_Store files, resource forks, trash, etc.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Online backup using Amazon S3.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Versatile file search tool based upon Apple's powerful Spotligh...
- Make simple changes to a single object, and then repeat those c...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Manage Freebox HD from your Mac: change programs, list them or ...
- Assign your hotkeys.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Get notifications when you have new Facebook messages, pokes, f...
- Synchronize and back up your files/folders.
- Memory Clean is the ultimate app for optimizing your Mac's memo...
- Bootable rescue system on CD.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Search for, uninstall applications and more.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content