CNET Editors' review
FreeFixer can fix problems other tools can't touch, but it can "fix" your system good and proper, if you don't know what you're doing. This powerful tool removes stuff. It can, and will, remove things your PC needs if you tell it to, so knowledge is key. Unless you're sure something needs to go, don't delete it. Instead, use the link to get more information online. FreeFixer automatically whitelists many safe items on its servers, but it can't tell a good program from a bad one, if it's not in the online database: That's your job. FreeFixer is freeware suitable for Windows 2000 to 8, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. We ran it in 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.
Installing FreeFixer involves configuring an optional daily background scan. FreeFixer's small, text-heavy user interface actually looks more like a pop-up than a program when you first run it. But it's actually a sensible setup, and the scan results page is impressive. What FreeFixer does is scan your system and list every program, process, service, module, toolbar, browser helper object, and just about anything else on your PC that can be identified and listed by category. Check boxes let you select items for FreeFixer to Repair or Delete, or you can click "More Info." FreeFixer's initial scan found (and logged) a lot of stuff on our computer, but no serious threats. But we selected an IE toolbar to toss, just to see FreeFixer in action. We clicked "Fix," and FreeFixer removed the item and rebooted our system. A subsequent scan showed that FreeFixer had showed the toolbar the door. FreeFixer has a few extras, too, such as its File Nuker, which zaps unwanted files at reboot, and Windows System File Checker, which scans protected files and restores any corrupted files with clean versions.
Used with care, FreeFixer is a great addition to your regular malware, spyware, and system maintenance toolkit. Used carelessly, it can ruin your day as you scramble to troubleshoot the problems you caused in deleting the wrong thing.
FreeFixer is a general purpose removal tool which will help you to delete potentially unwanted software, such as adware, spyware, Trojans, viruses and worms. FreeFixer works by scanning a large number of locations where unwanted software has a known record of appearing or leaving traces. FreeFixer does not know what is good or bad so the scan result will contain both files and settings that you want to keep and perhaps some that you want to remove.
What's new in this version: Version 1.09 includes ability to scan Scheduled Tasks.
More Products to Consider
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Create customized internet speed tests for your PC.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Analyze, modify, and enhance your images.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Configure and optimize your system.
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Check your hard disks for errors and correct them.
- Change filename case and rename thousands of files in Windows E...
All versions:2.9 stars
out of 12 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"This worked for me."
Version: FreeFixer 1.09
It found the files I was looking for.
It found a lot of files I needed to operate the computer.
I doubled checked (online) all the files I had this program delete to be sure they were malware. I did not delete anything I did not understand. I am not an expert in this, but I knew a little about the virus I had(passshow) and what the names of the files would be. Like I said, I double checked everything before I scheduled to delete. I did not lose anything and my virus is gone. I'm happy.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content