CNET Editors' review
Free Studio bundles DVDVideoSoft's numerous free video, audio, and image tools into a versatile suite. Despite its many choices, a well-designed control panel makes it extremely easy to access just what you need.
Free Studio requires at least 278MB of free disk space, quite a substantial package for freeware. The check boxes that set the developer's Web site and search engine as defaults were already selected by the installation wizard (can't blame them for trying); we unchecked them, of course. Free Studio's unique interface is one of the most sensibly designed we've seen. Aside from its attractive 3D graphics, it's laid out in eight large buttons accessing important features: YouTube, for Web video; MP3 & Audio, for your tunes; CD, BD, DVD, for ripping, burning, dubbing, and converting; DVD & Video, for playback; Photos & Images, for your pictures; Mobiles, for cell phone vids and apps; Apple Devices; and 3D, for making 3D videos and images. A slider button on top of Free Studio's interface toggles the animated intro on and off.
We were curious about the 3D items, so we started there. The 3D button accesses two tools, Free 3D Photo Maker and Free 3D Video Maker. The photo tool seemed very easy to use, but it requires 3D glasses to view images, which we didn't have handy, so we moved on to the Mobile selection, which offered a page full of small apps designed for specific brands, formats, and devices, such as Android, Nokia, Samsung, Sony PSP, XBox, and Nintendo. Each shared a simple, wizard-based interface, as did most of the other tools bundled in Free Studio; for instance, the disc-burning section contained not only audio and video disc burners but also video and audio conversion tools like Free Audio CD to MP3. The DVD & Video section offers 10 tools for recording, converting, dubbing, and sharing video. Some tools, such as the 3D video and photo apps, show up in more than one section, which we think is fine since it makes them more accessible.
DVDVideoSoft's multimedia tools are easy to use and good performers. We'd like to see links to a Help file or other assistance for the individual tools, though we encountered nothing confusing or unclear. We think Free Studio is a great idea, bundling together a full suite of competent, straightforward video and audio freeware.
Free Studio Manager is a completely redesigned all-in-one package for more than 45 programs. It contains eight sections to bundle all free multimedia applications which have been developed by DVDVideoSoft. These sections the following: YouTube, MP3 and Audio, CD-DVD-BD, DVD and Video, Photo and Images, Mobiles, Apple Devices, 3D. Thus all the programs are included in the new interface for easy access to any of them.
With this free software you can convert video and audio files between different formats and to iPod, PSP, iPhone, BlackBerry, and all popular mobile phones and devices burn and rip DVDs and audio CDs upload and download YouTube videos and music to your computer, iPod, PSP, iPhone, and BlackBerry perform basic editing of audio and video files as well as record videos and make snapshots.
More Products to Consider
- Save YouTube videos in AVI, FLV, or MP4 format.
- Burn the files and images on CD and DVD discs.
- Extract music from YouTube movies as MP3 files.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Create an MP3 player for your blog or Web site.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Rip CDs, convert audio files, and burn discs easily.
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Play your favorite audio and video files on PC.
- Convert between CUE sheet format files.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Search for and find required audio files.
- Locate and display lyrics in Winamp, WMP, and iTunes.
- Record your own voice, music, or any other internal / external ...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Read text aloud and save the spoken speech as mp3 and wav audio...
- Create audio CDs from audio files like WAV, MP3, and WMA.
- Convert and backup DVDs to AVI, DivX, iPod, iPhone, iPad, WMV, ...
- Enrich your VSTi library with an additive synthesizer.
- Convert RM/RAM/RMVB/AVI/WMV/ASF/MPG video to VCD/DVD/MPEG1/MPEG...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 264 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Free Studio 188.8.131.520
It seems easy enough and offers a great bundle , however the one conversion that I attempted over 20 times with different video each time left me dissapointed
The freeware wouldn't let me complete a conversion from Youtube to DVD. Each ended with 99.93 to 99.97 complete and the burning process wouldn't start . I looked for instructions as to how to proceed none were there. I first thought I was trying to burn too many files but even two using 2 G out of 4.3 G still ended 99. and some fraction complete.
With as many satisfied users I must be missing a step , but i reviewed the video and found no answers . I remain dissapointed
"I found this great."
Version: Free Studio 184.108.40.2060
It is easy enough for a computer cluless to use. Also it works awesomely (if that is a word.), I can do what I want to get done.
No cons cause I have not figured out something I can not do with it.