CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will download a small installer file to your desktop. Remain online and double-click the installer to proceed with the actual download.
CNET Editors' review
FortiNet is an industry leader in Unified Threat Management, which essentially builds on antivirus and firewall technology to create a comprehensive enterprise network security solution. FortiClient Lite is based on FortiClient, the developer's enterprise-level antivirus and network security suite. FortiClient Lite offers the same up-to-date virus and malware definitions as the corporate suite as well as extras like Parental Controls and VPN client software -- all in a freeware package geared for individuals and home users. Recent updates include improved rootkit detection and cleaning. FortiClient Lite runs in both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows; we tried it in both.
FortiClient Lite's installer identifies your existing antivirus software and gives you two options: You can uninstall it and install FortiClient Lite, or you can keep your existing program and run FortiClient Lite alongside it, but with real-time protection disabled. FortiNet doesn't recommend the second option, but it does let you take advantage of FortiClient Lite's other features if you can't change your antivirus tool. We tried both modes. The installer can also run a series of performance optimization tests that add a little time to the installation process but it keeps the program from running the tests in the background, so we checked the box. FortiClient Lite's user interface, called the Console, is easy to manage, with three main sections: Anti-Virus, Parental Control, and Remote Access. The Quick Start Guide is more detailed than many so-called full Help files.
As with any antivirus or security software, the first thing is to update the software, and the next is to scan your whole system to establish a baseline. Clicking Update showed our software already had the latest definitions, so we proceeded with the scan, which finished fast and showed no threats. A simple tool let us schedule full, quick, or custom scans. The Parental Control is a nice extra for family PCs; users who don't need it can disable it to keep FortiClient Lite light. The Parental Control has two parts, Explicit Website Protection and Malicious Website Protection, and parents can lock the settings. The VPN tool enables secure remote access to PCs and networks like your work PC or LAN.
FortiClient Lite is a free endpoint protection suite that includes malware/virus detection, rootkit removal, parental web control, and VPNl. Malware is detected using updated threat intelligence and definitions from Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs. Parental control offers a simple and effective way to block malicious and explicit web sites. Single VPN configuration allows quick and easy secure, remote access via IPSec or SSL protocols. FortiClient Lite leverages FortiClient's Antivirus technology, developed in-house by Fortinet. FortiClient Antivirus has achieved more than twenty VB100 awards and is capable of detecting threats on both a reactive and proactive basis. Proactive detection is based on detecting zero-day malware that has never been seen before in the wild.
FortiClient Lite is a lightweight edition of FortiClient, an enterprise class suite designed for the world's largest enterprise environments including Fortune 1000 companies, federal and state agencies, and customers that require the ultimate in a fully modular protection suite capable of power beyond Antivirus.
What's new in this version: Version 4.3.5 includes integrated rootkit detection and cleaning technology.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Record programs, Web addresses, search engines queries, and sen...
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Record programs, launches of Web addresses, and search engines ...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Monitor all users activities on your computer.
- Protect your PC from any network-based threat.
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- Protect your computer from viruses, trojans, and worms.
- Manage Internet use and parental control.
- Hide your IP address and Establish a VPN connection to 35+ Coun...
- Receive the daily reports about the time spent in the Internet.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Get professional security for your PC.
- Detect and clean thousands of threats.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 12 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Should stick to Firewall business."
Version: FortiClient Lite 4.3.5
Not many. Perhaps free endpoint management, but more trouble than it is worth.
Generates error windows after install, locks workstation after uninstall.
Try removing this and you may get a nasty message when you restart, telling you that you can not log on to the workstation. After reboot in Safe Mode, and System Restore, we're ok again.
"not good as"
Version: FortiClient Lite 4.3.5
dont read infected cd/dvd
high update upto 500mb
install online only
not able edit parental settings
not able to see gui interface
use if you want strict protection, but cant edit protection settings
"No Good as Real-Time AV for me"
Version: FortiClient Lite 4.3.5
Able to use on demand without real-time capability.
It refused to allow it to be run in real-time when Windows Security said there was already a real-time AV (which is actually good). I didn't have any real-time AV, and Windows Security didn't show one, but something was still hanging around from a previous real-time AV. I found how to clean-up Windows Security and got FortiClient Lite to run in real-time. Every time I opened my e-mail client it took 1 to 2 minutes. I guess it was scanning all the e-mails. So I excluded my e-mail client from the scans and now it was OK. Then I'd start to get occasional memory access errors from FortiClient. I'd delete fmon.exe and, to its credit, it would automatically restart. Getting those memory access errors were unnacceptable, especially the times it meant extremely slow processing until I could get fmon.exe deleted. I'm running XP SP2.
Until I get an acceptable real-time AV, though, I'll keep Forti-Client without real-time protection.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content