CNET Editors' review
Microsoft's Word and its clones dominate the word-processing scene, but some alternatives are worth a look, especially when they take a different approach. Take FocusWriter, for instance. It encourages focus and productivity with a full-screen view and a pared-down interface and features such as autosave, goal-tracking, formatting, spell checker, and find-and-replace. FocusWriter Portable is a fully portable version of this versatile freeware. You can save it on a USB drive and run it on any compatible Windows PC.
FocusWriter opened with a plain gray screen displaying our cursor. Hovering over the top edge produced a menu bar, while at the bottom we could show a word count, goal tracker, and time display. Clicking Ctrl+M minimized the full screen view. We typed out some text and clicked Save. FocusWriter let us save our document as a Rich Text file (.rtf) or OpenDocument Text file (.odt), both of which opened easily in Word. We tried FocusWriter's spell checker, formatting, search, themes, and other tools and settings, all of which performed well, most with a familiar feel. The only theme we saw was the default setup, but we could easily create themes by clicking Modify as well as import and export themes. Under the Settings, we could set writing goals in minutes or words, enable typewriter sounds, configure the spell checker and toolbar, and set the way FocusWriter counts words and letters.
It's hardly surprising that a tool designed to boost a writer's productivity and focus would start by minimizing the infinite distractions that are just a click or peek away. We like the idea, and also the way FocusWriter focuses on the essentials yet keeps many useful features available for when you're ready for them. Add in portability that lets you run it in airports, bars, and other places writers turn up, and we have a winner.
FocusWriter is a fullscreen, distraction-free word processor designed to immerse you as much as possible in your work. The program autosaves your progress, and reloads the last files you had open to make it easy to jump back in during your next writing session, and has many other features that make it such that only one thing matters: your writing. The portable version is designed to work as open source and completely free.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Create, read, edit and share word, spreadsheets and presentatio...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Set words that will execute a task.
- Add a multi lingual Forex Trading toolbar on your browser.
- Get a word processor that manages and simplifies your work.
- Improve your grammar and writing to create better business repo...
- Design your Firefox with a compact version of the default theme...
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Add old Microsoft Word 2003 menu layouts to Word 2007.
- Send chat messages to your friends.
- Download and manage audios and videos from podcasts.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 8 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Just not sure"
Version: FocusWriter Portable 1.4.4
Hope to find some.
I'd like to see the top bar all the time. Spell checker does not seem to work. It's on to check as i write but does nothing. Click to check words i know are totally wrong but it does nothing.
"An indispensable tool in any writers arsenal"
Version: FocusWriter Portable 1.4.4
Daily goal count
None if you know what this is and what this is not
I am a writer by profession and I use plenty of softwares. Evernote for daily document management, finaldraft for scripts, but this tool is simply a pleasure to use. For a creative writer you sometimes simply need to get in the mood. The whole feature of background images for fullscreen is brilliant. Very very glad I found this (totally by chance)
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content