CNET Editors' review
FastStone Image Viewer Portable is a full-featured image-handling application that happens to be totally portable and totally free. It's an image file browser, editor, and converter that bundles the most useful editing tools, such as red-eye removal, lossless rotation, resizing, and color adjustment, as well as various effects, text, captions, and frames. It creates self-running slideshows, photo contact sheets, wallpaper, and other displays; downloads digital photos; converts, renames, and changes the attributes of batches of files; changes time stamps; compares images; splits and combines files; captures screen images; e-mails images; and a lot more.
FastStone Image Viewer's fully customizable interface can also be reskinned for a new look. It's packed with controls but it never felt too busy, with colorful, logically grouped icons that displayed labels when we hovered our cursor over them. The program scanned our system and displayed a tree view, from which we selected some folders of images. FastStone populated the main view with thumbnails and opened a preview pane beneath the left-hand navigation tree's panel. We sampled the program's various tools and effects, all of which worked as expected, and then sampled the Create menu, opening the slideshow wizard. Using this, we quickly created a 12MB self-running slideshow out of two folders of images totaling nearly 50MB on the disk, with transition effects, though we skipped the optional music track. We could play the slideshow in a full-screen view that displayed useful information like EXIF data and editing options when we rolled the cursor to the right or left edge of the screen. The Image Strip Builder is an interesting wizard for creating strips of images, such as a filmstrip or an animation sequence. It's easy to overlook the lossless JPEG rotator, but it preserves image quality when you rotate images, something a surprising number of tools can't do.
We were mighty impressed with FastStone Image Viewer Portable as a comprehensive image manager that can go head to head with some expensive competition, but even more that it's totally portable and not too big to fit on a flash drive. It's a keeper.
From FastStone Soft:
FastStone Image Viewer is a fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter and editor. It has a nice array of features that include image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping and color adjustments. Its innovative but intuitive full-screen mode provides quick access to EXIF information, thumbnail browser and major functionalities via hidden toolbars that pop up when your mouse touch the four edges of the screen. Other features include a high quality magnifier and a musical slideshow with 150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image annotation, scanner support, histogram and much more. It supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA.
What's new in this version: Version 5.0: 1) Added option "Crop to Fit Full Screen" to the Slide Show tool. 2) Added larger thumbnail size (260 x 195 pixels) to the "Thumbnail" tab in the Settings (press F12). 3) Added shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+A) for "Auto-Rotate based on EXIF Orientation Tag". 4) Now it is possible to use the option "Do not resize if image is already smaller than requested size" when batch-resizing images based on one side. 5) Now you can tag or untag images even when the magnifier is activated. 6) Other small i... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Manage and rename JPEG files from your digital camera.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Right-click an image file you want to preview and you'll see a ...
- View, edit, and manipulate your images.
- Get thumbnail picture viewer with slide show.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Love this product!"
Version: FastStone Image Viewer Portable 4.6
I downloaded FastStone Image Viewer Portable because I bought a new computer, and it came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is not compatible with my outdated Photoshop Elements. I didn't want to pay to upgrade Elements because I really didn't use all of the functions anyway. I came to CNET to see what free software I could find. I am SO happy I chose FastStone! It was quick to download and is super easy to use! It does all of the tasks I used to do with Photoshop Elements. It also takes no time to load, which is a big change from Elements.
The crop feature is a little less sophisticated than the one in Elements, but it gets the job done.
I would recommend this product to anyone. As an avid amateur photographer, FastStone can handle all of my typical photo editing needs.
"Great function in a small package."
Version: FastStone Image Viewer Portable 4.5
The slide show creator is my favorite function.
"good software - it works perfectly"
Version: FastStone Image Viewer Portable 4.3
It's free and works on any removable device. easy interface, it can well use the non-expert users
Nothing at this moment that I don't like
program recommended for all users
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content