CNET Editors' review
Designed to help late-night computer users save their eyes, F.lux for Mac provides a softer and gentler backlight for the screen by helping the display adapt to the time of the day.
F.lux for Mac functions flawlessly, although we did have some difficulty finding it once we had closed it the first time. Once it is running, the only place it will be accessible is as an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. It does not show in recently-used apps or the sidebar, and it does not reopen if you click on the icon in Finder. It does allow you to set your own level of brightness and has two options for fade time, but a slide bar for fade time would be a nice addition. On the whole there were no problems with the installation or function of the app, but additional (or easier) access would make it a much better product.
F.lux for Mac offers a great solution for people who work on computers for long hours. Once you get it installed correctly, it will change your screen automatically, and you will probably never know it is there.
Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow? Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen? During the day, computer screens look good--they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun. F.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.
What's new in this version: This release is able to find your location again (since this broke recently).
More Products to Consider
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Control your MacBook's fans.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Get pop-up notifications for iTunes track changes, new email, a...
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Forces windows to go full screen when you click the green orb b...
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Icon and Dock cataloging and customization.
- Display and hide hidden files.
- Shows date & times when your Mac is started or shutdown.
- Save your eyes by making your display's brightness adapt to the...
- Clock for reading time differently.
- AirPlay mirror your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to any Mac.
- Tool to quit the Serial Port Monitor after Palm synch.
- Card game.
- Notepad with natural language calculator for solving problems a...
- Drag & drop XHTML & CSS web design.
- Alarm clock that actually turns off when you yell at it.
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 12 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Costs a little RAM...but very worth it!"
Version: F.lux 23.0
Works as advertised!
You'll sacrifice some RAM. Of course, you can always turn it off if other memory intensive apps complain.
A little memory hit is worth the benefit of this wonderful little app.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: