CNET Editors' review
Web site managers may want the ability to broadcast video directly to the Internet. EvoCam for Mac allows users to stream video or save it for later use, all in a well-designed interface that is easy to use.
EvoCam for Mac offers a free trial version with a 15-day usage limit. The full version costs $30 to unlock. The program downloaded quickly and came with a separate instruction file, which was relatively easy to follow. The program menu was clear and immediately brought up a screen for video capture. This had options for recording or streaming directly to a Web site. The user can enter server information for the streaming upload. There are also security selections for the camera, which would be an excellent option for those who are using the program to monitor home activity from remote places. Features are also available to start recording when certain actions occur, such as time periods or when sounds are detected. Additional, albeit limited, options exist for adjusting the video output picture, including things like opacity, among a few others. This menu can be hidden once the desired settings are entered. The output video looked as it does when using native webcam applications.
For those who want additional streaming and recording webcam functions, EvoCam for Mac works well and even adds some functions over native applications.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of EvoCam for Mac 4.2.1.
Ever wanted a webcam so that visitors to your site can see a live image of you, your office, or the view out of your window? Ever wanted to keep an eye on your home or your pets while you're away? If so, you need the ultimate webcam software - EvoCam. EvoCam also has a built-in web server, allowing you to connect directly to EvoCam using any Java-capable browser and view your webcam. The built-in server can be password protected, and you can customize the HTML to give your webcam a personalized look.
What's new in this version:
- Added support for ACTi D72
- Added support for Arecont AV5155
- Added support for Wansview NCH532MW
- Added toolbar item to toggle settings tabs
- Added visual mouse click feedback when capturing displays
- Added arrow key equivalents for next/previous image in timelapse viewer
- Fixed issue affecting media encoder
- Fixed issue affecting application stability
More Products to Consider
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Hear, see, and chat with many people at a time.
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- Multi-camera video surveillance app.
- Control camera settings from iChat, Skype and other apps.
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Video chat/calling tool; see up to 6 friends at once.
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Looking to open those frustrating Microsoft Outlook MSG files o...
- Google, Skype, Yahoo, MSN, AIM, Jabber, Facebook, SMS, Fax, and...
- Copy to, move to, or open a recently used mailbox.
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Access your Infusionsoft data from Apple Mail.
- Live video streaming application.
- Add DSP effects to any Mac application with audio content.
- Add functionality for Apple Mail signatures.
- Create an internet radio station with your Mac.
- Auto record Skype phone and video calls.
- Remind yourself to include e-mail attachments if you forget.
- Customize your webcam's settings while using FaceTime, Photo Bo...
- Monitor & troubleshoot net connections.
- Generate short links for Twitter by dragging media to your menu...
- Instant messaging tool.
- Scan and stumble upon wireless networks.
All versions:4.6 stars
out of 36 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Awesome Program + Awesome Support = It's Worth It!"
Version: EvoCam 4.2.2
I'm not the most tech savvy guy on the block; I typically know just enough to keep me curious which then leads to frustration as I stumble through the modern world. That being said, EvoCam gave me a morale booster! The program is pretty easy to use and they let you take a test drive before you spend any $$. Getting my Foscam 18905W to work smoothly with EvoCam was a piece of cake and the monitoring/alert options are vast. I love being able to save multiple "documents" which allow for totally different monitoring & alert configurations from a single camera. I have Daytime versus Night time settings (documents) on my exterior camera and the motion alerts from both are stored in separate files. Trust me, once you play around with this software for any length of time you'll realize how awesome it is. Last but not least, the fast and courteous email support I've received from "Nick" over the last few days has been awesome and that's a huge plus!
I'd like the option of calling Support rather than emailing back and forth, it'd be nice to walk through some issues while on the phone. That being said, the prompt & detailed replies I did receive were more than sufficient in helping me figure a few things out.
If you're a MAC user and are in need of some surveillance software, you should give EvoCam a try...I can't imagine any other program/software out performing it at a comparable price!
"Excellent Program, easy to use."
Version: EvoCam 4.2.2
Timelapse movies are easy to set up.
Monitoring from a remote site very easy.
Files can be large but manageable. Easy to accidentally close a document instead of hiding it and leaving it active.
I used previous versions of EvoCam and was not extremely impressed, I went with SecuritySpy instead. A couple of days ago I downloaded 4.2.2 and am really wowed by the features and capabilities of it. I have a home in Arizona and live in Minnesota. I have 8 cameras in and out of the house to keep an eye on it between visits. I was looking mostly for a program to do time-lapse movies and to view live. This is definitely it!