CNET Editors' review
Estimator allows subcontractors, contractors, and business owners to keep track of work that is requested from a client. This program is a combination of a spreadsheet and word processing program with special emphasis on the calculations needed for contractors.
This program downloads as an executable file so no installation is needed. Upon startup, the user can choose notation settings and choose to view the program in either English or Dutch. Estimator might not be intuitive for novice users or users who never had any experience with this type of software. The interface is quite basic and lacks graphics. There is a Help file available within the program that explains each function briefly, but a tutorial available on the Web site is fairly comprehensive. The main links are clear but options under these don't seem to be available at all times. Under System the user can create, edit, and delete projects. Import, export, and print functions only seem to work if the user is under the Estimator tab. This seems to be an early version of the program and there is some work that needs to be done before it is as useful as most modern contractors demand.
The non-intuitive nature of this program lends itself to a relatively steep learning curve. While the tutorial is good, the program needs more clearly labeled and documented functions. Estimator is probably not for the novice user at this point in time, but could be helpful for the more savvy user.
From Estimator Team:
With this free program you can create estimations for constructions, print estimation and proposal. Characteristics of the application: default cost type library; project cost type library; copying of substantiation from a different project; copying substantiations from a different estimation; export to and import from estimations and cost type libraries from excel; print an estimation; print a proposal; it is portable.
What's new in this version: Version 1.99.08:
- Estimator screen, substantiation part: if project cost type does not exist, then copy from default cost type library.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Get help in the quantification of construction materials.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Build any type of war game.
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Start with a simple anthill and build an amazing ant empire.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Build a road between two neighboring cities so a vehicle runs a...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Construct castles and stage sieges in a war between the Vikings...
- Manage and keep track of your job cost accounting and bookkeepi...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Learn about main resources of MS-Project 2003.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Simulate operating a construction company for kids.
- Keep track of your tools and search and print tool reports.
- Create constructions with points, vectors, and segments for lat...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Estimate construction costs and create proposals and reports ba...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Usefull cost estimating tool"
Version: Estimator 1.61
Estimator is an impressive software for construction industry to generate estimates for constructions. This software is useful in organizing and generating cost estimates for constructions. It makes an ideal solution for small sized to medium sized construction industry. This program is capable in creating estimations, printing estimations and making proposals. The amazing program is enhanced with features like: a simple two panel interface comprising the details such as - number, description, quantity, unit, price, total and status; the default and project cost type library, copies substantiations from a different estimation, copies contract specifications from a different estimation, allows exporting to and importing from estimations and cost type libraries from excel, you can print an estimation, it is a portable software, and supports a simple user interface.
This is the perfect software to make quick estimations of very large contracts with minimum time and effort.
The editor still needs some development.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content