CNET Editors' review
Easy File Locker is a free tool for password-protecting files and folders. With it, others can't open, read, modify, copy, or delete your data without your password. Of course, neither can you, so be sure to take the usual (secure) password precautions. This tool is available in separate downloads for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, but the installation wizard won't let you install the wrong version. We tried it in 32-bit Vista and Windows 7 as well as 64-bit Windows 7, with success all around.
Easy File Locker has a very simple interface, just a menu bar and toolbar above the main window, which displayed our protected files as we added them. The toolbar basically duplicates the menu commands, such as Add File, Add Folder, and controls to change passwords, toggle the system's protected status on or off, and other functions. Adding files or folders is easy: browse to or enter a destination, select check boxes for making the file or folder Accessible, Writeable, Deletable, and Visible, and click OK or Cancel. All the attributes are selected by default, except for Visible. It's easy to see the program in action: pick a file, hide it, and then look for it. You won't see it. Toggle off the protection, and the file is visible again. When we tried to delete a file with delete protection activated, our system repeatedly demanded administrator privileges to delete the file. Toggle off, try again, file gone; that counts as "easy" in our book.
Easy File Locker doesn't add encryption algorithms or keys or any of the extras found in fancier file security software, free or not. All that stuff is available, if you need it. Try Easy File Locker if you'd rather have a simple, easy-to-use tool that can hide important, personal, or private data from prying eyes as well as protect it from various forms of mischief without requiring night classes to learn how to use it.
Easy File Locker is an easy-to-use security software product that can protect your private files and folders. With its great protection, users will not be able to open, read, modify, delete, move, copy the locked files/folders, or even not be able to see it. The hidden files/folders will be totally invisible to all users and to any program. Easy File Locker will keep protecting the files/folders even under Windows Safe Mode. It is designed for protecting files/folders on your local computer. It doesn't change the protected files and folders, it will not slow down the system speeds and it will never have the chance to destroy your data.
This version of Easy File Locker is for 32-bit Windows. Click here for the 64-bit version of Easy File Locker.
What's new in this version: Version 1.4 is a bug fix release.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect sensitive files and folders using file encryption.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect your personal files.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect sensitive information on your computer from unauthorize...
- Protect your private files and folders.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Organize, encrypt, and secure your image collection.
- Hide or encrypt any file with a password using the government's...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect private folders, files, and drives from unauthorized ac...
- Protect your computer and monitor and control user activities.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Encrypt a group of files and compress them to an archive.
- Lock and unlock your folders.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Encrypt your personal information to protect your privacy.
- Lock and/or hide folders for better security.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
Version: Easy File Locker 1.4
none, since I cannot use it !
As soon as it got installed, asked for a password; I chose the cancel option because I wanted to open the program first. Now I cannot open it or unistall it, since it is asking for a password that never existed... be carefull with these "free" software.
"Easy to use, easy to bypass."
Version: Easy File Locker 1.4
- Simple UI.
Yes, the UI is, in my opinion, is a pro. It's clean, simple, and has no eye-catching stuffs which are not that essential for a technical person like me. So, I love the UI. The menus do a lot of things than they look like. For beginners, perhaps taking two minutes to learn and understand how the menus work is a good choice.
- Simple and astonishing drag and drop.
Drag and drop your files and/or folders to automatically and ultimately hide them from your eyes. Somehow they are not visible through folder options' 'Hide protected operating system files' option. Great job.
- Click and go.
You can easily change the preferences of any protected files and/or folders on the list just by double clicking it. There are 4 options for you to play on.
- Less conflict.
Since this program doesn't modify anything critical on your system, this program won't conflict with other software, except you accidentally lock the files and/or folders that are important to read from other apps.
- Accessible via safe mode.
All your protected and locked files and/or folders are easily accessible via safe mode. No more locks, no more hideout. Everything is open and clear if you boot Windows in safe mode.
- Password security lack.
You can create an impressively long and strong master password, but you can only input the first 16 characters when you enter it to open the application or uninstall it.
- Folders recurse lack.
This is the most awful phenomena in EFL. Lemme give it an example:
Let's say you HAVE this folder listed in EFL list (full access):
And for some reason you need to make this folder visible but not accessible:
For the protection to work properly, you must edit the list like below:
1. C:\Review\Downloads (visible, not accessible)
2. C:\Review (full access)
The root folder MUST be placed in the end of the sequence. If not, then the root and its subfolders are open, no matter you already add the rule for those subfolders.
In this summary, I would rather sometime use technical language.
- Less conflict if you're using techie software(s).
For you techie guy who loves the monitoring software, EFL would not cause any messy event for your Windows. As an example, Folder Lock refuses to open if you have Process Monitor running background. Even if it (Process Monitor) is already terminated, the Folder Lock still refuses to open, which does not let you uninstall the software itself, unless you know how to manipulate the kernel configuration. By using software like Process Monitor, you would finally find where the master password (for EFL) is stored and how (and where) the folder sequence is saved and stored.
So, my conclusion is, for you simple and techie people needing simple protection and do not want conflict with your hacking softwares, this prog is somehow useful. Don't mess around with file encryption software if you don't want to end up of files locked forever (not forever, just if you can find where the wallet is).
Hope my review helps you protecting your files and/or folders. Best of luck, then.
"Very handy and easy to use"
Version: Easy File Locker 1.4
Safely hide and lock away private files
A real so an so if you forget your password. :)
Well worth a try.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content