CNET Editors' review
Boss keys, aka boss buttons or panic buttons, have probably been around about an hour longer than computers--long enough for the first bored programmer to write the first string of code to clear the screen whenever the boss strolls by. And just think: they had no Web sites, no games, no chatting--none of today's distractions, which demand so much more time and effort. So we were tickled silly to see Don't Panic. It's a free application that can open, close, or hide multiple applications with a single button.
Don't Panic's interface has two modes: a small window with a panic button and File, Tools, and Help menus; and a Panic Mode that minimizes the program to a rectangular, semi-opaque panic button near the system tray. The File menu merely accesses an Exit button, but the Help menu offered not just Help and About files but also links for reporting bugs, requesting features, and other contacts. The Tools menu accesses the Panic Mode as well as a tabbed Options dialog that configures everything from opacity and updates to software actions such as whether to terminate processes (fast but messy) or close them (slower but safer) or to force the hiding of selected software. Don't Panic offers other stealth options, too, including deleting all shortcuts from the Recent Files folder and clearing your IE browsing history. We could also change the default hot key combination, though Don't Panic recommends testing manually entered combos since some might not work.
The true test of a boss button is how well it works, and Don't Panic worked perfectly. Tabs labeled Close (Hide) and Run let us browse to programs to close or run when Don't Panic is activated, including a Blacklist option. We browsed to a program to hide, entered it, and then repeated the process with a program to run. We saved our choices, pressed the panic button, and two things happened almost simultaneously: our open program closed, and our closed program opened. Don't Panic proved to be one of the best apps of its type we've seen.
From Tundrea Adrian-Costin:
Don't want to get busted by your boss or your teacher playing Solitaire, chatting or surfing the web? Close (hide or minimize) and open multiple programs with the click of a button. So you won't have to panic anymore.
What's new in this version: Version 22.214.171.124 is a bug fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Surf the Web anonymously bypassing firewalls and Web site censo...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Delete automatically and securely (by overwriting multiple time...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Hide an active program window immediately with a hot key.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Delete tracks of your online surfing.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Hide and unhide any windows, programs, and files.
- Surf and chat anonymously, kill pop-ups, and erase Internet tra...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Access and download radio streams.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Protect your privacy and anonymity while surfing the Internet.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Open your video files and play them over and over.
- Represent all the open windows on your desktop visually.
- Create and delete zero binary files and protect your privacy.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Clean your tracks, protect your privacy, and speed up your PC.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"it's NOT a virus... it's the compression of the executable (with PECompact)"
Version: Don't Panic 1.2 Build 445
Some antivirus software give a false-positive because of the fact that the executable of the software is compressed with PECompact.
"had a virus when I download"
Version: Don't Panic 1.1.0 Build 340
could not tell
could not tell
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content