CNET Editors' review
Text editors are, by design, lacking in features; they're meant to be lightweight programs that are used to handle text that doesn't require much formatting or other fanciness. Dolphin Text Editor Menu is an innovative utility that adds some useful features not only to traditional text editors but also word processors, browsers, e-mail clients, and any other program that handles text. It's unobtrusive and extremely handy to have around.
The program appears as an icon in the system tray, and right clicking it lets users access the options menu. The only real option the program has is to set a hot key that will allow users to access it elsewhere. Once we'd set our desired hot key, we opened Notepad, pasted in a block of text, and started exploring. Activating Dolphin Text Editor Menu brought up a menu with eight options: Add lines, Sort lines, Remove, Change case, Align, Clean, Wrap, and Other. Within each of these options there were numerous features, including the ability to append and prepend text, sort lines alphabetically and numerically, remove the leading character of each line, remove HTML tags, display the word count, and much more. We tried the program in several other contexts, including Google Chrome and Microsoft Word, and it worked just as well. There's no Help file, but the program doesn't really need one, either; it's fairly self-explanatory. Overall, we were impressed with Dolphin Text Editor Menu, and we think it's a great choice for anyone who works with blocks of text regularly.
Dolphin Text Editor Menu installs and uninstalls without issues.
From Animal Software:
Dolphin Text Editor Menu expands the functionality of any text editor. It doesn't replace your current text editors - it makes them better. Dolphin Text Editor Menu works with any software where you can type sentences or paragraphs. This includes: Visual Studio; OpenOffice Writer; MS Word; GMail, Firefox; online forums; Notepad; Wordpad; HTML / PHP editors; etc. This enables you to have advanced text manipulation tools available wherever you need them. Dolphin Text Editor Menu expands the functionality of any text editor by adding an extra menu allowing you to: Sort text alphabetically. Reverse line order. Remove blank lines. Change text case. Remove duplicate lines. Align text. Remove HTML and BBCode tags. Remove text formatting. The menu sits quietly in the system tray and only shows itself when you press the hotkey (which is initially set to Ctrl+Numpad0). If you are changing source code; editing html / php; writing a report; or simply making notes: Dolphin Text Editor Menu can make your life easier. Dolphin Text Editor Menu can be disabled when certain applications have focus, to avoid conflicting hotkeys and each menu item can be hidden to help you easily reach the functions you use the most.
What's new in this version: Version 2.9 added Serbian translation. Each function now has it's own icon. An optional 'Recently used' toolbar is now displayed above the menu. Added the ability to hide the system-tray icon.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- View the HTML code of a Web site.
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Change the file name of multiple files or directories.
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Resizeable & dockable toolbar.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Monitor your hard, removable and mapped network drive resources...
- Create RSS feeds from existing HTML documents located online an...
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Access folders and files you need from any application instantl...
- Create & check a domain name.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Nice utility that adds lots of power to any text editor"
Version: Dolphin Text Editor Menu 2.0
Easy to Install. Intuitive to use. Minimal Memory usage.
None so far!
This little app adds a ton of text editing options. It's very easy to use and adds a lot of power to any text editor. I have to do a ton of clean up for a lot of txt files to import into databases and now I don't have to swap between Excel, Word and other text editors to do different functions.
As an example you can open a txt file in any text editor that contains thousands of rows, sort it alphabetically, remove the the first or last X# of characters from each row, remove blank lines and or trailing spaces, change the case, remove duplicate lines and get a word count in just a few clicks!
This thing is going on my flash drive and is definitely in my must-have utilities folder.
"Nice little text utility! Easy to install and use."
Version: Dolphin Text Editor Menu 1.7
easy to install
easy to use
none so far
This is going on my flash drive in my folder of handy utilities. Now I don't have to copy and paste to Excel, do some sorting or reformatting and then copy and paste back. Great time-saver!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content