CNET Editors' review
AVSOFT's Digital Talking Parrot is strictly for fun. This free screensaver simulates a talking parrot, but like the real thing, Digital Talking Parrot can learn, remember, and repeat what you teach it. You can edit its vocabulary or record words using your system microphone. The program can run as a screensaver or standalone app.
Digital Talking Parrot installs conventionally, though the installer did offer several extras, including one tool we had to deliberately decline to keep from being installed. Unlike some screensavers, Digital Talking Parrot also has its own Start Menu folder, complete with dedicated uninstaller. The program's main interface includes File, Edit, View, and Help menus. Since it's as much a program as a screensaver, you configure Digital Talking Parrot from its own interface as well as the Screen Saver Settings in Windows. In fact, unlike most screensavers, Digital Talking Parrot doesn't automatically set itself as the default system screensaver, and we had to open the Personalization settings and enable it as a screensaver.
Digital Talking Parrot produces some very realistic parrot-like sounds, including everyday chattering as well as basic words. We clicked Vocabulary under the program's settings, which opened a small dialog that looks like a cross between a help file and a media player. A tree view let us select Parrot's Own Words, Parrot Remembered, or Record, with the ability to make recordings via the player controls, though naturally you'll need a microphone, too. The Speech settings' sliders let us adjust Pitch level, Vibrate period, and Vibrate level to produce a wide range of parrot voices. We don't doubt pet owners could use the controls to produce a pretty fair job simulating the actual voices of their fine feathered friends, too. We could also change the program's background scene from an interior room view to several natural options. We don't need to mention the humorous possibilities of being able to "train" Digital Talking Parrot to say whatever you want it to, do we? We didn't think so!
A smart and cute parrot-like screensaver. It sings on start up and talks while your screen goes to standby mode. This funny toy comes with modern technology. The parrot learns and remembers all what you teach, words, short phrase and speaks it out loud. You can make a speech with him and it is easy to adjust the tempo and quality of parrot's speech as well as changing the background to put the parrot into different beautiful wild scenery.
What's new in this version: More stable on Windows.
More Products to Consider
- Set your desktop virtually on fire.
- Bring realistic coral reef aquarium to your PC screen.
- Disply a virtual aquarium with unsurpassed realism.
- Enjoy flight over ocean in cinematic 3D environment.
- Animate your desktop with water effects.
- Emulates the Matrix code and introduction sequence.
- Place video wallpapers on your desktop.
- Create a screensaver with images, sounds, movies, Flash, web si...
- Customize your wallpapers and screensavers with pictures and vi...
- See a glowing digital clock that appears when your computer is ...
- Set an amusing trap for people who try to use your PC.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Change the desktop wallpaper automatically, position pictures t...
- Customize your bootup screen with your own images.
- Animate your desktop with the beautiful 3d space scenes.
- Watch as fish schools swim in saltwater and freshwater 3D Aquar...
- Simple and small mp3 player with built-in internet radio.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create a screensaver using Flash animation, or convert your own...
- Talk to Pierre, his responses are always unexpected and extreme...
- Play around with an interactive 3D screensaver.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Monitor your CPU usage.
- View celebratory dance 3D snowflakes on your desktop.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 133 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Digital Talking Parrot 1.0.23
none - virus warning from Nortons 360
I just went to install and I got a virus alert from Norton 360.
Now I have to check everything to be sure Nortons caught it all!!As per Norton / Symantec:
Updated on Dec 7, 2013
WS.Viral.1 is a cloud based detection for files that are unclassified threats.
A file flagged by this detection name is deemed by Symantec to be an unclassified malicious threat and is therefore blocked from accessing the computer.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: