CNET Editors' review
English may be the lingua franca (Google it), but there are other languages--in fact, a lot of them. Software designed to translate text from one language to another is nothing new, but most typically involve lots of typing or cutting and pasting. Dicter is a free translation tool based on Google Translate. It automatically detects the original language and translates it into one of more than 40 other languages. It's much quicker and easier to use than most other methods, too.
Most of the time, Dicter is nowhere to be seen, but it pops up automatically when you type its hotkey combo (Ctrl + Alt) or click its system tray icon. Dicter works pretty much anywhere there's text, including Web sites, documents, and programs. We selected some text and typed Ctrl + Alt. After a brief moment, Dicter's tiny window opened, showing Translate from English at the top and English to Spanish at the bottom with our text translated into Spanish in between. Aside from Settings and Close buttons, there's only a button labeled To clipboard. We clicked it and pasted our text into a blank Word document, as easy as empanada. We sampled several languages, and each time Dicter quickly and completely translated our text from the original to the selected language; accurately, too, we hope, though when we translated one piece of text into three different languages consecutively and finally back to English, the results seemed more like something from the "Whisper Game" than readable text. That's to be expected with any machine translation, though, and that's why it's critical to work from primary sources. The program's Settings button let us choose to retranslate the text into another language selected from a long menu of choices or set a language for default translations from English.
Dicter is hands down the best translation software for everyday use we've encountered. It's extremely easy to use, with virtually instantaneous translations to and from 42 languages (so far) and an unobtrusive, flexible modus operandi (Dicter it!).
Dicter - One-click translation from / into 48 languages. Just mark the text and press Ctrl + Alt key combination to get translation in a popup window. Language autodetection. Supported languages Albanian, Arabic, English, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Dutch, Galician, Greek, Danish, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Spanish, Catalan, Chinese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, German, Norwegian Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Philippine, Finnish, French, Croatian, Hindi, Czech, Swedish, Estonian, Japanese
What's new in this version: Version 3.32 fixed small bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Translate words, phrases, sentences, and text from 22 different...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Translate among ten European languages.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Search for and translate definitions for English, French, Spani...
- Translate across 60 languages.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Perform translations between Spanish and English.
- Translate your documents and texts between 53 languages using o...
- Allow you to perform a live saving operation on your Windows PC...
- Communicate with ICQ users in their own languages.
- Translate text from most Microsoft Windows applications.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Translate any text on a Web page and other applications just by...
- Create an ebook in 7 steps. Customize your ebook add links to p...
- Translate words, sentences, passages among 53 languages.
- Search and translate words between English and Estonian languag...
- Convert English sentences to Hindi and vice-versa.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Translate words and phrases with Google translation engine righ...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 20 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Its constantly in your face!!"
Version: Dicter 3.32
It works fine
Don't like software that has to have it's own search engine and space on my computer, it would be nice if it would just load without adding on to what's in my computer or changing it
Good thing it's free because I wouldn't buy it!!
"Like it better than other translators"
Version: Dicter 3.32
Works great, does what it promises
Cant think of one
I would highly recommend this software
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content