CNET Editors' review
Dialectic is a scriptable dialing utility for telephone power users that can save you time making and managing calls, whether via a landline, Bluetooth-enabled cell phone, or VoIP. Dialectic integrates with Address Book and other similar apps, including Microsoft Entourage and Now Contact, as well as Marketcircle Daylite, FileMaker Pro, launcher apps like LaunchBar and Quicksilver, and many others. Thanks to recent updates, Dialectic also supports Exchange, CardDAV, and LDAP accounts configured in Address Book.
This high-powered utility gives you system-wide dialing using contextual menus (and system-wide "speed dial"), voice-activated dialing, and auto-redial and incoming call detection, even for your iPhone. Dialectic also logs and times calls (with a customizable timer), and gives you an optional Google Quick Search Box plug-in, like you'd find in Google Desktop. It's even smart enough to do things like dial your Bluetooth phone while changing your status in iChat to "On the phone" and pausing your iTunes. Dialectic also adds new service menu items for contextual-menu dialing from other apps, and the app has improved support for a wider range of devices in recent updates, including phones from CounterPath and Aastra IP phones. Though Dialectic may be overkill for most users, it provides a rich, well-maintained, and reasonably priced feature set for people who make a lot of calls as part of their work flow.
Dialectic is a versatile tool that unites your Mac, data, and phones (mobile, landline, & VoIP) enabling you to be more productive. It allows you to find, select & dial numbers using many devices and services. With robust dialing rules, it determines the call type (e.g., local or long-distance), transforms the number as required (adds prefixes to the number, etc.) and routes it to the appropriate phone. When dialing, it can automatically configure your system (e.g., pause iTunes, change iChat's status, etc.) and restore it when the call is done. There's also an Address Book menu providing system-wide access to your contacts. Quickly see information, copy or insert it into your current document, initiate a call or email, find addresses on a map & more. Dialectic integrates with most contact managers, databases, & other applications, has a comprehensive call log, notepad, call timer, & much, much more. With its AppleScript support it is easily integrated into your workflow.
What's new in this version:
- Improved support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
- Fixed an issue that caused an issue with Google Voice authentication.
- Note: the minimum OS X support is now OS X 10.5.8, 10.4.x support has been eliminated.
- Updated & augmented the documentation.
- Other minor fixes & optimizations.
More Products to Consider
- Integrate Caller ID, Address Book, Google Voice, and Bluetooth ...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Sync contacts and calendars with your LG phone.
- Initiate phone calls and faxes right from your Desktop.
- Quick access to Address Book, Bluetooth dialing, caller ID...
- Enbles you to copy the Gmail contacts between two Gmail address...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Edit the contacts of your mobile phone.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Edit the 'contacts' of your mobile phone.
- Data recovery software.
- Automation tool for various system tasks.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Set up and resume batch downloads of the software you find on t...
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Sketch ideas, add camera moves and generate animatics.
- Tools media creators need to write and plan their media project...
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Edit any kind of text-based files.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"NO SERVICE AT ALL."
Version: Dialectic 1.9.2
glitchy. does not save settings.
Used it for years. Glitchy, but functional. Switched to Mavericks...had problems...Creator refused to assist. Stay away unless you want to be frustrated.