CNET Editors' review
Sometimes static desktop backgrounds can be boring, and you feel the need to make the desktop come alive. This is when Desktop Aquarium Free steps in, transforming the desktop into an aquarium. While the video's nice, the free version ships with a couple of annoying limitations, such as 30-second-only videos and pop-up ads. The app provides two scenes in this version: a "busy coral reef" scene, with dozens of fish species, such as Banded Clownfish, Blue Tang, and other colorful varieties, and a second "Shark paradise" scene, with the protagonists being a couple sharks, Blue Tang, and many other colorful fish.
There is a big difference between the two scenes: in the first, the fish are very agile, while the second scene (with the sharks as protagonists) is much more relaxing. The app provides some very useful customization options. For example, you can enable the "Show Desktop" functionality, which minimizes all windows to show the Aquarium after a custom inactivity period, which can be varied from 5 minutes up to an hour. Another potentially useful feature, which unfortunately doesn't work, is the Hot Corner. As most Mac owners use Hot Corners to enable desired actions, Desktop Aquarium can also make use of this. However, during our testing the app failed to launch when the mouse hit the enabled corner. What we did like was the app's ability to play Aquarium when a certain percentage of the desktop is visible, as the moving fish freeze and only become active when you reach the desired percentage of visible space on your desktop.
Overall, the app works well, and those who love to enhance their desktop background with action will love it. However, the limitations can become annoying, especially when you have to spend time looking at those colorful fish.
From Voros Innovation:
Desktop Aquarium shows a beautiful, REAL aquarium on your desktop. It features:
- Beautiful Coral Reef and Shark Paradise scenes
- Real videos, no fake computer animated fish
- Shows Desktop after a preset period of inactivity (moves all windows out of view)
- Hot corner support to "Show Desktop"*
- Scenes can be set to start based on how much desktop area is covered.
- Both dock icon and menubar icon can be hidden.
More Products to Consider
- Realistic 3D fish swim around your desktop.
- Screensaver runs QuickTime & Flash movies.
- Like Berkeley's old After Dark.
- Dive into the ocean on your desktop.
- Watch the Matrix code in 3D.
- Detect which music is playing and displays cover art and detail...
- Add a clock screensaver with real-time minutes dropped into wat...
- Display your screensaver as your desktop background.
- Turn your OS X desktop into a realistic-looking 3D aquarium.
- Port of the Windows Vista Bubbles screensaver.
- Travel through a tunnel on your desktop with configurable color...
- 3D dragons fly thru a city.
- 3D zombies roam your desktop.
- Watch the Matrix code on your screen.
- Displays black screen with transparency.
- Decorate your folders with a flowery images.
- Desktop organizer and cleaner.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Enable color icons in the Lion or Mountain Lion Finder sidebar.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Halloween jack-o-lantern for your desktop.
- Realistic 3D marine fish aquarium screen saver.
- Hide and unhide applications easily without a trackpad.
- Maintains specified desktop icons moving unwanted ones to trash...