CNET Editors' review
Experts recommend that those who use computers for long time periods need to take frequent breaks to prevent health issues from arising. Dejal Time Out for Mac allows users to track when these breaks should occur and has a number of useful options for the task.
Both download and installation of Dejal Time Out for Mac completed quickly, despite the lack of a native installer. There were no user instructions or tutorials available, which was a disappointment since some of the options required trial and error to figure out. Technical support did not appear to be present either. The actual program does not have a menu, but the preferences section brings up a screen that appears dated. The user can change the timing of preset breaks, as well as the sound that plays at their beginning and end. When the break time is reached, the program displays an image indicating how much time remains before the user can restart work. The user can opt to skip or postpone a break with a quick button press. Users may also program smaller alarms for micro breaks. While working in the background, the program tracked and displayed all of the preset breaks as indicated.
For those users looking for a way to track short breaks while working on their computers, Dejal Time Out for Mac performs this function well and would be a welcome option on their Mac systems.
It is very easy to fall into bad habits when using a computer for hours on end. You care about what you are doing, so can sometimes push yourself too far, or over-strain yourself. The human body isn't built to sit in one position for endless hours, gripping a mouse or typing on the keyboard. Dejal Time Out is here to help. It will gently remind you to take a break on a regular basis. Time Out has two kinds of breaks: a "Normal" break, typically for 10 minutes after 50 minutes of work, so you can move about and relax, plus a "Micro" break: a very brief pause of typically 10 seconds every 10 minutes, so you can remember not to tense up too much for long periods. You can configure how long each kind of break lasts, and how long between breaks, or disable each kind. Each Time Out is announced via the screen slowly dimming, with related graphics materializing, and when the break is complete, it fades out again. You can change the time these transitions take and you can even change the color and the level of transparency during the break. So if you like, you can make it mostly transparent so you can continue reading while on your break. Though it's better for you if you give your eyes a rest during the Time Out. At the start and/or end of the break, you can optionally play a sound, and even run an Automator workflow, AppleScript, or application.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed issue that prevented the timers from starting when auto-launched until Time Out is brought to the front the first time.
- Now sets the state of the auto-launch preference checkbox from whether or not it'll actually be launched, rather than just what was previously chosen (a subtle difference).
- Fixed the minimum OS requirement, so trying to launch it on an OS version before 10.7 will give an alert instead of unexpected behavior.
More Products to Consider
- View satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, geographic...
- Manage your e-book library and sync to reader devices.
- Classic typing instruction software.
- English-Urdu dictionary.
- Powerful mathematical language for performing scriptable tasks.
- Kids' artwork program with iLife integration.
- Synchronize your brainwaves to achieve a specific mood or exper...
- Google Maps desktop client for Mac.
- Medical DICOM viewer/converter.
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- Statistical data modeling tool.
- 3D image processing software with DICOM/PACS support.
- Mathematics teaching and visualization tool.
- Interactive equation editor for Office, etc.
- Build and share recipes, plan and organize meals and wine.
- A simple recipe manager with customizable ingredients lists.
- For Sony Ericsson mobile phones.
- Symbolic computation software.
- Recipe, wine note & cooking note organizer.
- Cute menu bar app that helps you plan breaks in advance.
- Use various clocks with alarm functions to tell time.
- Break large image files into smaller tiles.
- Recipe software organizer to view, print, sort, file, and manag...
- Wake up for sure.
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 21 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Dejal Time Out 1.7.1
-Quick to set up
-Many options I appreciate
-Lets you set programs that won't trigger a time out, like for watching movies.
-The UI could be made more easy to navigate
/Users/Your Name/Library/Application Support/Spigot as well as:
~/Library/Your Browsers/External Extensions/hbcennhacfaagdopikcegfcobcadeocj.json
Would be a great program if they didn't trick you into installing junk