CNET Editors' review
We occasionally come across programs that work as they're supposed to but that just aren't, in our view, designed to be very useful. Date Reminder is one such program. As promised, the program will remind you of scheduled events, but we're not sure why anyone would choose this program when there are so many more feature-filled and versatile options available.
The program's interface is plain, with a handful of buttons and a grid where scheduled items are listed. It's easy to create a new item, and users can enter the name of the event, the date, whether it repeats (and how frequently it repeats if it does), and how many days in advance they wish to be notified. Users can also choose custom sounds to be used in the notifications. A search feature allows users to search for a particular event by name. The program comes with a built-in Help file, but for some reason we weren't able to access any of its content. This wasn't a major problem, though; everything about Date Reminder is intuitive. Still, overall, we were not impressed. Perhaps the biggest drawback was the fact that users can schedule events for days, but not for particular times; it can help you remember Aunt Martha's birthday, but it might not be a great way to remember that 10 a.m. meeting with your boss. In general, we're not sure why anyone would use this program when there are so many other options out there that are integrated with e-mail (Outlook and Google Calendar, for example) and that can notify you of upcoming events via e-mail or text message. There's nothing functionally wrong with Date Reminder, but it didn't do much for us.
Date Reminder comes as a ZIP file. It's accessible after extraction with no need for installation. We recommend this program with reservations.
Date Reminder is for recurring or nonrecurring events, like birthdays, bills to pay, or appointments. The date reminder can be run from the Startup folder with an option to show only if there is something to remind you of. The reminders are listed in chronological order, beginning today, each with day of week and number of days ahead. For recurring events only the next one is listed. Events may recur every year, month, week, day, or every 10 days, every 2 weeks, every 3 month etc. Reminders can be marked "done" that is "dealt with". Past events will remain in the list until they are marked "done". In an extra history list you can review the last seven days.
What's new in this version: Version 3.22 has improved search behavior.
More Products to Consider
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Replace Post-It-style notes left stuck to your PC monitor.
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Get a cornucopia of calendar related information for 26 differe...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Find duplicate files on your computer.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Manage your files and folders on your PC.
- Convert values between various different common systems of meas...
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Optimize Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- Calculate the total time you worked.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Just what I was looking for!"
Version: Date Reminder 3.20
Simple - no bells and whistles, just a basic birthday/anniversary/appointment reminder for my dad, who's not terribly computer-literate. Other programs I had tried always had too many options for him - he found them overwhelming.
None that we've found so far!
Version: Date Reminder 3.14