CNET Editors' review
CommonCents from EnDevelopment is a personal financial tool based on the tried-and-true envelope budget system, which traditionally involves putting money for expenses aside in paper envelopes so that you're forced to live on whatever is left over. Such cash-oriented budgets enforce old-school financial discipline, but they have limitations, especially when it comes to record-keeping. CommonCents improves the envelope method with a comprehensive suite of tools for managing everything from cash and credit cards to banking, loans, and mortgages, not to mention complete transaction histories and real-time account and envelope balances.
CommonCents' main interface, My Vault, features a main display divided into four resizable panes. The program's main view and its general approach toward recording and displaying information is an interesting hybrid of spreadsheet and Windows app, with a tree view for navigation plus customizable tables that have the familiar feel and functions of a spreadsheet program, such as Excel. The program is divided into 11 Managers that configure and control not only the Vault but also Account, Envelope, Income, Budget, Backup, Reconciliation, and other features. Clicking each calls up a dialog with checkboxes and other options that simplify setting up your personal information: You just check or uncheck items as needed. There doesn't seem to be anything left out, from Dining to Insurance to Taxes, but you can assign any expense or item you need to. Indeed, we were particularly impressed with the way this program manages to combine the total flexibility of a spreadsheet tool with excellent assistance and ready-made solutions. It had us budgeting in no time flat, and it shows the real appeal of the envelope method.
Nearly everyone can benefit from a good budgeting tool. CommonCents' combination of comprehensive coverage, flexibility, and ease of use with the commonsense envelope method definitely sets it apart from the crowd and earns our recommendation.Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of CommonCents 220.127.116.110. The trial version is limited to 60 days only.
CommonCents 4.0 personal finance software delivers powerful new capabilities to its users such as: All of the 3.0 features plus:
Direct connectivity to financial institutions; Enhanced importing functionality; Apply budget allocations anywhere; Automatic categorization and payee cleanup during import; Build custom CSV import templates; Improved user interface; Automatic envelope assignments; Automatically assign deposit overages.
CommonCents 4.0 still uses true envelope budgeting. Setup is quick and easy through a guided setup process. Cash, checking, savings, credit card and loan/mortgage accounts are supported. Data is encrypted. Backup capabilities are included at no additional cost. Extensive customizable reporting. Goal management, reminders, and more. Free email support for all users. Licensed users also receive phone and shared session support as needed.
What's new in this version: Version 18.104.22.1688 is a maintenance release with the following minor fixes and enhancements:
- 1. Added the ability to turn of automatic backups.
- 2. Added the automatic restoration of default reports that have been accidentally deleted.
- 3. Improved the duplicate detection for manually entered transactions during importing.
- 4. Fixed several issues related to importing transactions and payee replacements/assignments.
- 5. Fixed an issue where some def... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Manage your bills using the envelope method.
- Manage your household and personal budget.
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Keep track of bills, credit cards, and bank accounts.
- Manage your finances quickly and easily, plan your budget.
- Organize and manage your personal finances.
- Save money by getting a complete picture of your private financ...
- Track and analyze your investments and the markets.
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize and manage your personal finances.
- Track and manage your financial gains with ease.
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 32 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Visually Nice but Lacking Functionality"
Version: CommonCents 22.214.171.1248
Very appealing to the eye.
Clean and well laid out.
Easy to start fresh and use.
Won't import QIF files properly.
Won't allow transfers in paycheck splits.
I am looking to replace Quicken and attempted to use CommonCents. It is very appealing to the eye and has a clean interface. Envelopes are easy to set up and buttons are all in the right place. But the multiple attempts to import data from Quicken failed. I tried multiple formats. Any progress made was mostly manual. I imported/entered 1.5 months of data but could not get the numbers in all accounts/envelopes to work out. A major show stopped for me was the inability for CommonCents to transfer splits out of my paycheck to multiple savings accounts; CommonCents insisted all items in the split be assigned a category, not a transfer. This isn't real life for me. Sorry to not be able to use this software as it's visual appeal made it pleasant.