CNET Editors' review
Cocktail is both useful and fun for inveterate Mac tinkerers and would-be power-users (that is, power users who aren't hard-core enough to use the command line). This multipurpose utility can help you keep your computer happy and healthy, giving you access to scores of tweaks and optimizations pulled together from various utilities, preferences, third-party hacks, and command-line tools.
Cocktail can help you with routine maintenance and customization across your disks, system, files, network, and interface. Cocktail is organized around these five areas, with highly customizable options for everything from clearing caches and repairing permissions to changing the appearance and behavior of the Finder and Dock--and Cocktail's Pilot feature lets you schedule regular maintenance.
Perhaps the best part of Cocktail is its extensive help files, cross-linked to articles on Wikipedia, Apple's site, and other Mac resources. These fall short in some spots (such as with optimizing network settings), but they can provide a valuable primer on how your Mac works. There are other cheaper--and even free--options out there, but with Cocktail, you get OS-specific stability, helpful documentation, and a well-organized interface. If you're not using Snow Leopard, check out the earlier editions of Cocktail.
Cocktail is a general purpose utility for OS X that lets you clean, repair and optimize your Mac. It is a powerful digital toolset that helps hundreds of thousands of Mac users around the world get the most out of their computers every day.
The application serves up a perfect mix of maintenance tools and tweaks, all accessible through a clean and easy to use interface. Cocktail's features are arranged into five categories that helps you manage various aspects of your computer. It also comes with an automatic Pilot-mode that allows you to simply press a button and relax, knowing that Cocktail will take care of the rest.
Cocktail (Snow Leopard Edition) requires OS X 10.6. Cocktail (Lion Edition) for OS X 10.7 and Cocktail (Leopard Edition) for OS X 10.5 are available for download from our website.
What's new in this version:
- Added ability to disable startup sound (System - Startup)
- Addresses an issue in which Cocktail may fail to scan preference files
- Addresses an issue in which Cocktail may fail to create a Keychain key
- Addresses an issue in which Cocktail may not be able to repair permissions on RAID sets
- Addresses an issue in which Cocktail could not force empty the Trash
- Addresses an issue in which the Firewall log may not be rotated
- Addresses compat... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- (Lion Edition) general purpose system modify/repair utility.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Unlock over 1200 hidden features in Mac OS X and other apps.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- (Mountain Lion Edition) general purpose system modify/repair ut...
- (Leopard Edition) general purpose system modify/repair utility.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Data recovery software.
- Run system shell scripts to perform maintenance routines and cl...
- File sharing app that makes it simple to manage, protect and sh...
- A complete journey along the most beautiful coast in Spain thro...
- Get a file compression and archive tool.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- Cleans web browser cache files, browsing history, cookies, and ...
- Disk Speed Test is an easy to use tool to quickly measure and c...
- Monitor your computer, from memory usage to Bluetooth status.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 40 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Very good at what it does."
Version: Cocktail 5.1
This tool gives you one place to tweak the way your system acts, some of these tweaks could only be made from the terminal before and a lot of people are uncomfortable with that.
More online help would be nice, some of the options are not immediately apparent.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: