CNET Editors' review
Those who want to surf the Web without using Safari have many options. Chromium FreeSMUG build for Mac is a functional program, but does not add anything new to the browsing experience.
Downloading Chromium FreeSMUG's build for Mac takes a bit longer since the program is 46 MB. Installation occurred without any problems or user actions, though. There were no instructions, but the interface is fairly easy to interpret for those familiar with Web browsing. Support did not appear to be available. After starting, the program's interface was what one would typically expect from a basic Web browser. The browser's top bar was well placed for entering URLs and the typical back, forward, and refresh buttons were present. The tested pages loaded quickly and without any errors. There were no separate menus for bookmarks or favorites, requiring users to access these options from a main drop-down menu. These can be moved to the top of the interface just below the URL bar if necessary. The program ran smoothly throughout testing without any operational problems.
While it performs all expected functions, Chromium FreeSMUG build for Mac fails to distinguish itself from other, more innovative Web browsers.
Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.
What's new in this version:
- Responsive Images and Unprefixed Web Audio
- Import supervised users onto new computers
- A number of new apps/extension APIs
- A different look for Win8 Metro mode
- Lots of under the hood changes for stability and performance
- Pepper Flash player has been updated to 220.127.116.11
More Products to Consider
- Explore the web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Connect with friends, preview search results, and get website u...
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Alternative Web browser with server-side compression for slow c...
- Download a new, fast browser.
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Combine powerful browsing with media downloading and sharing.
- Rich media content plugin for the web.
- Beta channel of Google's web browser.
- Browse the web comfortably.
- Access Facebook without a web browser.
- Check out the latest beta of the next Firefox update.
- Block ad elements in Safari.
- Web browser.
- Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML.
- Browser plugin to view rich multimedia web content.
- Web browser with Mozilla's rendering engine.
- Browse the web easily.
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Tool to log all keystrokes for later recovery.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Download accelerator that is built into your web browser.
- Create strong, unique passwords for all your accounts and login...
All versions:2.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Chromium FreeSMUG build 34.0.1847.116
Not a single one
Labeled as working with OS X 10.5.x IT DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO WORKING.
Should not be in the 10.5 subsection for users to download.
Someone at CNET doesn't know what a computer is...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content