CNET Editors' review
Those who want to surf the Web without using Safari have many options. Chromium FreeSMUG build for Mac is a functional program, but does not add anything new to the browsing experience.
Downloading Chromium FreeSMUG's build for Mac takes a bit longer since the program is 46 MB. Installation occurred without any problems or user actions, though. There were no instructions, but the interface is fairly easy to interpret for those familiar with Web browsing. Support did not appear to be available. After starting, the program's interface was what one would typically expect from a basic Web browser. The browser's top bar was well placed for entering URLs and the typical back, forward, and refresh buttons were present. The tested pages loaded quickly and without any errors. There were no separate menus for bookmarks or favorites, requiring users to access these options from a main drop-down menu. These can be moved to the top of the interface just below the URL bar if necessary. The program ran smoothly throughout testing without any operational problems.
While it performs all expected functions, Chromium FreeSMUG build for Mac fails to distinguish itself from other, more innovative Web browsers.
Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.
What's new in this version: This release fixes WebGL bug which got regressed in last stable build.
More Products to Consider
- Connect with friends, preview search results, and get website u...
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Explore the web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Download a new, fast browser.
- Alternative Web browser with server-side compression for slow c...
- Browse the web comfortably.
- Browser plugin to view rich multimedia web content.
- Beta channel of Google's web browser.
- Access Facebook without a web browser.
- Rich media content plugin for the web.
- Check out the latest beta of the next Firefox update.
- Block ad elements in Safari.
- Web browser.
- Serve files and URLs to Apple TV.
- View dynamic high-quality Web graphics in the new SVG file form...
- Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML.
- Popup menu in window title bars for access to all windows & run...
- Easy-to-use web browser.
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Bike ride journaling & blogging app.
- Tool to log all keystrokes for later recovery.
- Web browser with Mozilla's rendering engine.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Chromium FreeSMUG build 16.0.912.75
Has the same feel as all Chrome based browsers has yet to crash or lock up.
For the first week the browser was off to the races. Like most browsers overtime it has slowed down. Clearing history, cache, browsing data, etc. did not return it to it's original speed.
In short, it's no better than any other Chrome style browser.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content